Calming the nerves
Great discussion going on here guys!
There's a lot of talk about music, but my only gripe with music is how it could divide my attention. I find myself only listening to music I'm very familiar with, otherwise I'll be distracted by the onset of an unfamiliar song and then devote my brainpower to listening rather than climbing. But hey, maybe that's a good thing? Who knows.
Although I've been recording for years (non-1.6) I find my nerves pretty consistent throughout all the demos, if not worse at times, depending on the difficulty of the map/record and how good/bad my run is. Personally, I think my sweating at this point is just Pavlovian conditioning... I'm fairly sweaty to begin with, perhaps I should consult the doctor about that one :D maybe the fan will help...
But oddly enough, legendary failures do help with the nerves. You learn to not care, or to accept it and move on. Either way, with enough time and practice, things will improve.
I've had a few fails that could compare to chrizZo's famous gigablock mishap, and looking back now I watch myself fail in such preposterous ways and just crack up at it.
Originally posted by CamelCloudClassical music by Beethoven, Mozart, Bach, etc. does the trick when I do cups and play in general.
u own it !
Not sure if calming down the nerves but at times I just chill and play some kz while listening to Liquicity Year Mix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW-heSo9580
Originally posted by nobody^Not sure if calming down the nerves but at times I just chill and play some kz while listening to Liquicity Year Mix http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HW-heSo9580
Despite I'm not listening to that kind music for the longest ass time, it bangs!
Iron Maiden is the thing to listen and just fucking sing along and the do the runs! You can't be nervous with Iron Maiden in your ears.
WTF Wemera, you're right! It really helped me when i tried mountainsein record
Originally posted by DeathClawWTF Wemera, you're right! It really helped me when i tried mountainsein record
Awsome, that's cool!
You ain't kiddin' me, right? :D
I think alot of great advice has been given allready but what i would like to add is that u should really take your time, what i mean by that is that u have to really cut off yourself from everything else and not have anything bothering you while recording, this is the main thing, because most definately u will get nervous easily when u have loose ends irl that bother u or need to be arranged anyway, but yeah depends on the person, one should take a mixture of the advice given and try how it fits him..
If ur a music person and dig alot of music then ofc u should put on some nice jam that fits into the mood, and remember, failing only makes you stronger, thats the main goal of evolution afterall i guess..:)
Originally posted by shnzSame thing happens to me all the time, Kangaroo. When I reach the end of a map with a decent run I'm always getting nervous, and I just can't help it no matter what I do.. I think there's no way to change that. It's just who you are. You have to accept that you'll be getting nervous everytime and succeed despite of this fact. I've screwed many runs because of this, and so will you. I guess we're just unlucky... Like someone above mentioned, we care too much and there's nothing to do about it. If you're patient enough, after many horrible fails, with time you'll get used to it. You'll be able to control your hands, but that nervousness will never go away completely. But like Kraeft said, it's part of the fun!
Some time ago I asked KeltA if he's getting nervous too, he said he does everytime...
Green things greeen things everywhere :D
Please log in to post replies.