Cheating

Started by lagster mapper
11/05/2013 07:16
Page 1 of 2
lagster mapper11/05/2013 07:16

Hello

It's been a while, I hope all is well in the world of kreedz, I have tried my best to keep up with the current state of the game but have had little time as of late. Regardless it is wonderful to be back, I hope to stay, I'm not looking to cause any drama. I recently found some time and began playing kz again (can't get away) and came across a great number of new players. It's honestly superb that kz has managed to stand the test of time, and I hope to see more players getting involved in the greatest accomplishment 1.6 has ever seen hah!

Though, in coming across these new players I thought it would be appropriate to discuss cheating; how it works and why it is imperative that the system in which demo's are checked should be reassessed. I'm not sure how long ago it was but I believe someone actually linked me to a thread in which my views and argument (which I will get too shortly) had already been brought to light by kkz. It's not often I agree with kkz but he made an extremely good point and although I don't have the link on hand if someone wants to quote him, please, credit is due.

In essence, I want to talk about how the current system works and propose some changes that I believe may help keep the validity of kz in-check. The way in which demo's are checked is an extremely secret ordeal, despite my, well, long time playing the game, I still don't entirely understand the process nor am I asking to find out; but I think some players should.

Cheating has been a topic of debate within kz for longer than I can remember. From simple bhop scripts, to slowmo, and to all the cheats that remain undetectable, they remain an issue. Despite my own opinion on the recent longjump world-records, in which I will not comment, lol, it seems to have sparked further debate on the notion of cheating.

Currently, to catch cheaters, XJ uses eDark, alongside FPSDeath or whatever else they have, no idea, and it is generally only checked properly when a demo seems or ‘looks’ suspicious, brought to attention by the players of the community. Does this not seem a little ridiculous? So the entire validity of kz relies on one individual’s assessment? eDark is carrying the cleanliness of the game on his shoulders? eDark has done an immense amount for the games legitimacy but it seems like utter stupidity to base an entire community in the hands of one individual's skill-set.

What if he decided to leave tomorrow? Or quit? It’s like the age old stories of basing an organization on an individual, it doesn’t work. XJ has been notoriously horrible at catching cheaters, an admin, leggie, submitted the HJ wr in which he blatantly cheated (while I was there) to help prove this point (for those that don't know the story, leggie does not cheat, it was merely used as a tool to help XJ in catching cheaters; hopefully as my post will do today), the demo made it onto the frontpage, he then told them it was cheated and it was taken down. Try and imagine the amount of demos that have been idolized by the community, beaten and long-gone now, in which were probably cheated? eDark is a human, with bias, and most probably cannot catch everything (correction, he CANNOT catch everything, it is far too much a task to ask him to watch every demo submission). This is not to say he’s not good at what he does, but, really? I honestly think XJ should be investing their time into understanding the mechanics of the game a little further in actually catching cheaters before they put them on the frontpage, instead of investing in other avenues within the community. I’ve lost count of the times in which demos have been released and then later checked, and found to be cheated. For a global, worldwide, official, community to be letting demos like this through, is not acceptable... The game is over 10 years old now, at least try and find a new way to catch cheaters, and keep them barred from the community. I hate to bring my own bias into this, but I can’t stand the fact that kayne was caught cheating multiple times, and yet I’ve been perm banned 4 times for forum posts while he stands up for LyNN's 'windowed mode' because it's more comfortable to play with... Of course 'windowed mode' is his preferred setting; he cheated.. that's fact.

Regardless, I think this is an issue that needs addressing. I also heard that eDark isn’t as involved anymore, so where does that leave the admins? Can eDark not teach someone how to do it? Get over the elitist viewpoint, banning thopa for releasing FPSDeath, and actually teach people to catch cheaters. It is bound to fail, or has failed, using the skills of one individual in keeping the validity of demos in check.

Before you jump the gun and tell me that giving out information regarding cheating could hinder the community. Yes, I get it. But in giving someone admin rights, the community puts trust in these individuals just like any other avenue of gaming so in giving the benefit of the doubt is there nobody else that can acquire the skills eDark possesses? In normal Counter-Strike, people are innocent until proven guilty, which is wonderful and similar to kz BUT the benefit in kz is demos are submitted, you CAN catch them before they make the front page.

The next obvious argument is that the admins don't have time. I too, understand this. But if this is the case employ new staff? I think the use of the 'chopping block' forum is great but there has to be a better way to get these things done, no? There are thousands of fan-boys out there just waiting, sitting in the wings, ready to be called upon for their 15 minutes of fame as admin to help out (V_e) so USE this resource. It's not often a community has this much influence so why not play off that?

I hope I didn't offend, or upset, I just feel these issues need to be addressed

<3lagsterrrRinsilioiZm

mungo9611/05/2013 08:25

Dis right here is da' truth, i fully agree
-WeezyD

'vaMpPpPpp11/05/2013 09:05

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/400x/37726772.jpg

rusty11/05/2013 12:43

why do you have an american flag next your name lagster haha

leggie11/05/2013 13:51

well, there's alot more to demo checking than meets the eye, i found that out very very fast but those thing's are kept secret for good reasons... as for the tools... also kept secret so that cheaters don't get their hands on them and try find a way past them....obviously the less people that have them the less risk of them leaking, and you have to consider, although i agree with you, that eDark is pretty much the only person creating anti-cheat programs... where as there is hundreds creating cheat programs....that makes it very hard for eDark as you can imagine.


also some people help (i won't name them but they can speak up if they wish) by sending me cheated demos/cheat programs for me to check, obviously they never find the outcome of this but it helps myself and XJ as a whole.

lagster mapper12/05/2013 03:25

Originally posted by leggie
well, there's alot more to demo checking than meets the eye, i found that out very very fast but those thing's are kept secret for good reasons... as for the tools... also kept secret so that cheaters don't get their hands on them and try find a way past them....obviously the less people that have them the less risk of them leaking, and you have to consider, although i agree with you, that eDark is pretty much the only person creating anti-cheat programs... where as there is hundreds creating cheat programs....that makes it very hard for eDark as you can imagine.


also some people help (i won't name them but they can speak up if they wish) by sending me cheated demos/cheat programs for me to check, obviously they never find the outcome of this but it helps myself and XJ as a whole.


This is the problem.. keeping everything hidden and being elitist about it is probably doing more harm than good. As for the people submitting cheats, wonderful but I'm sure more can be done.

znx12/05/2013 05:53

tbh, I agree that it should be kept a secret. But not such a secretive secret that barely 3-4 people know about it. Gather some people who are not into kz and who wont bother to be, but should have basic knowledge about it and at the same time should be good at coding as well.

leggie12/05/2013 13:29

Originally posted by LAGSTERRrRkz[a
]
Originally posted by leggie
well, there's alot more to demo checking than meets the eye, i found that out very very fast but those thing's are kept secret for good reasons... as for the tools... also kept secret so that cheaters don't get their hands on them and try find a way past them....obviously the less people that have them the less risk of them leaking, and you have to consider, although i agree with you, that eDark is pretty much the only person creating anti-cheat programs... where as there is hundreds creating cheat programs....that makes it very hard for eDark as you can imagine.


also some people help (i won't name them but they can speak up if they wish) by sending me cheated demos/cheat programs for me to check, obviously they never find the outcome of this but it helps myself and XJ as a whole.


This is the problem.. keeping everything hidden and being elitist about it is probably doing more harm than good. As for the people submitting cheats, wonderful but I'm sure more can be done.



i don't see how it can even be close to doing more harm than good... if this information was shared, cheaters would start to have a better idea of what we do how we do it and start looking at ways to get around it.... keeping it a secret keeps them on the backfoot cos they don't know if we're gunna catch them or not, that's why we only check submitted demos... otherwise people would just submit cheated demos over and over until something got through

lagster mapper14/05/2013 23:59

You and I could have discussed this on steam leggie, I'm disappointed that of the 20~ admin staff the only one who feels I'm worth replying to, and that 'cheating' is a worthy discussion, is a long-time acquaintance of mine (this probably has something to do with me, personally).

I both outlined and understand the secrecy of anti-cheat in my original post, but as stated above I also think eDark needs to teach others or at least help others in understanding the methods in catching cheaters. Are you saying that out of fear alone, eDark NEEDS to be the only one that can truly break down demos in finding cheats? I think the only reason this seems viable is because the community is relatively small, comparatively, but this process would be an absolute joke elsewhere and thus should be addressed in the progression of maintaining a professional _official_ community..

Lets assume you run with the same process in that individuals, such as eDark, catch cheaters, are my suggestions not at all steps forward? At least employing a few others to check demos week to week would help in keeping some illegitimate demos out of the record list. As I stated in the original post, all of your trust has been put into eDark so why can't you trust others? Whose to say eDark doesn't one day turn on you all and start distributing kz cheats (unrealistic, I'm being hypothetical). This raises an even bigger discussion (one in which I do not want to start) about trusting people to do the right thing as the admins of this community WHICH I understand, in terms of making the right and moral decision, isn't a strong trait held within this community but you'd think that cheating would be a priority.

Though unfortunately in using my logic we run into further issues, because it is easier to trust a guy who checks maps over someone who is checking demos.. I get that, a map checker lets an inappropriate map through; who cares? but a demo, sure, its not going to work out well for anybody. But Znx raises a good point in employing individuals whom are not actively involved in recording demos, because this is potentially why eDark is so impartial, thus trustworthy? Why doesn't someone like, like (I'm not saying it should be him) ndR.. or someone who has been around for longer than 90% of the players here, no longer recording, and has a good reputation amongst players, have access to the knowledge eDark has of catching cheaters? (Before someone, or ndR responds with "oh he quit the game" etc, understand my point first)

Employing further demo-checkers that actually understand what they are looking for, not just 'is he using /speed' is probably the best way to go.. I just don't think its professional practice waiting for someone to post in the comments or make a thread about LyNN cheating before eDark gets a call to check his demo..

Something to think about.. but of course, before we discuss the little things, like cheating, lets respond and discuss pressing issues that are absolutely imperative to the community such as the 'remov[al] [of] the slide image headers.' Crazy.

nerv.18/05/2013 22:54(edited 18/05/2013 22:55)

I think there is a lot of people creating cheats because the kzh and stuff were free to download and more people tried to understand how it works.
AND people with good intentions worked very hard to create powerfull amxx plugins to catch this cheaters.


if you keep anti cheat programs as a secret, the only one working to upgrade this program would be eDark.

And as an admin of kz-brazil community, checking demos without someone explain how it works its hard. and if fpsdeath and other democheck programs werent leak, the country kz communities wouldnt exist at all.

When fpsdeath was leaked, probably eDark work harder to make something more powerfull, to beat the people that use the fpsdeath leaked version to create cheats.


This is what i think, if you have something that a few people know how it works its hard to upgrade or make something better.

DiDo-Grecord holder15/08/2013 09:13

I will dedicate my 3000 post for you lagster ! You are the only one which gave a shit about everythng around here and never been in the XJ team ... You are awesome man and asbolutely right about the trust , xtreme-jumps sometimes are too serious to notice that there are other communities like kz-brazil bulgarian-kreedz etc. etc. Theese communties will die if soon there wont be a good anti-cheat system or checking system . But as I see there are only a few banned for cheating ( records ) all theese years of playing and they got back LOL why? Why some of the cheaters got unbanned and some are still banned and the other strange thing is why some guys get a ban for cheating and then they are back with more demos ... What about trust now huh?

kaynerecord holder15/08/2013 12:32(edited 15/08/2013 18:32)

actually never mind, i dont need to explain anything to anyone on this shit anylonger..


good thread anyways lagster, keep it up

Nukk20/08/2013 10:57(edited 20/08/2013 11:07)

lagster, youre best bro, im agree with DiDo-G. i hope, faker someday will stop his serious and start to do smth since there are a ton of obvious cheats.

also kayne. you shouldnt answer in here bro, youre the one of them who started this cheat-shit with juice since you joined the staff and took anticheat tools in your fked hands

kaynerecord holder20/08/2013 11:39(edited 20/08/2013 11:47)

i didnt start anything about any cheating, get your shit straight..

I wasnt really a friend of Juice, I only used him to make the cheats and they were handed over to faker and eDark along with demos (on normal maps like dust2 just jumping around in circles) showing how the cheats worked.

leggie can probably find threads in the demo admin forum if he checks, otherwise faker and edark can confirm this, even omilo because i sent it through him a few times and he posted it in the forums.

i'm not a good friend of juice at all like everyone seem to think
you're just being pathetic



edit

btw, im the one who told faker about the cheat juice used in space2 and if im not mistaken they could see it but didnt have 100% proof about it.. but his demo is still there

FAME20/08/2013 15:34(edited 20/08/2013 16:32)

/del

lagster mapper23/09/2013 03:53

Originally posted by DiDo-G
I will dedicate my 3000 post for you lagster ! You are the only one which gave a shit about everythng around here and never been in the XJ team ... You are awesome man and asbolutely right about the trust , xtreme-jumps sometimes are too serious to notice that there are other communities like kz-brazil bulgarian-kreedz etc. etc. Theese communties will die if soon there wont be a good anti-cheat system or checking system . But as I see there are only a few banned for cheating ( records ) all theese years of playing and they got back LOL why? Why some of the cheaters got unbanned and some are still banned and the other strange thing is why some guys get a ban for cheating and then they are back with more demos ... What about trust now huh?


Originally posted by Nukk
lagster, youre best bro, im agree with DiDo-G. i hope, faker someday will stop his serious and start to do smth since there are a ton of obvious cheats.

also kayne. you shouldnt answer in here bro, youre the one of them who started this cheat-shit with juice since you joined the staff and took anticheat tools in your fked hands


I appreciate this, and agree Nukk

I didn't really read your post kayne, I need to watch my words, I think it's wonderful you still play and some how became a part of the administration but I think you're lucky the community have let so much of your past slide; getting caught cheating 3-4 times in any other gaming community wouldn't really enable a player to gain any admin position let alone continue to play but for some reason it's okay here. It's been years so most of the active players don't even know about it and look up to you like you're zhady anyway so enjoy it.

Juice23/09/2013 11:14

IMO
Cases of LyNN and becko had shown us that democheckers are not experienced enough to catch all these obvious cheaters without helping hand of eDark. :(

Originally posted by Nukk
kayne ... who started this cheat-shit with juice...


@Nukk
If you're STILL thinking(along with juhx) that I was given some tools for developing my stuff then you're a fool, I've never had them. :D

@kayne
You're wrong about my demo, please don't spread this misinformation!

nobody^23/09/2013 13:06(edited 23/09/2013 13:08)

Hello.

First of all, I would like to thank you Lagster for the initiative you proposed and I would like to declare that I appreciate your interesting in helping out.

My personal opinion for the topic is that regardless the fact we need more demo-checkers, it is a rather risky move to provide people with demochecking tools and other techniques, if I could put it that way. I am supporting the hypothesis to not reveal the most advanced methods. Of course, eDark would use a hand, but I suggest him being the main person who makes the most valuable decisions. The motives for my opinion derive from some thoughts which disturb me. I am not familiar with demochecking tools, codes and such, but is it possible to somehow develop a cheat based on the demochecking tools posibilites? What I mean by that is: When you already have your hands on the tools, wouldn't it be easier to code a cheat that can take the limits even further? I would like someone who has the needed knowledge to reply, I might be mistaken.

A few sentences about the 'obvious cheaters'. It was known to almost everyone that LyNn was cheating, even to admins. Cheats are kind of easy to detect with a bare eye, but the policy of XJ does not work that way, faker thought me that. It would cause chaos and many other issues would derive. I believe everyone understands that.

I got interested in seeing what other admins think about this topic as well, especially eDark himself.

Best regards,
N

fivee23/09/2013 18:44(edited 23/09/2013 18:48)

It's easy to rob a bank that has security systems you are familiar with, but difficult to rob one that you know nothing about.

lagster mapper23/09/2013 20:37

Originally posted by fivee
It's easy to rob a bank that has security systems you are familiar with, but difficult to rob one that you know nothing about.


Despite my stand on the matter, this is pretty solid logic actually.

As I mentioned previously though, I understand it is an extremely difficult situation, and not one I have any real answers too I just think it should be reassessed.

I also understand the problem with handing out anti-cheat tools openly, that's not my idea of a solution, I just think more should be put in place regarding catching cheaters. Using LyNn is a pretty great example actually, he got more news/attention/movies from the entire situation when realistically, his demo's shouldn't of made it to the front page, the fact that it was _obvious_ should of meant his demos were assessed properly and not put up from the start (since it was suspicious already to admins and the wider community) before making the front page. Sure, he he cheated and got caught, but he got a tonne of fame and will go down in infamy (maybe this is what he wanted) regardless my point is it shouldn't of made the demo lists, ESPECIALLY when it is a LJ world record (1 smaller demo vs. a potentially long xx:xx minute WR demo). <- this is my main point, catching cheaters before they get the attention they want.

Again, I know this is difficult, I don't have a solution, I'm not saying everyone should get to be eDark; I'm just pointing out the issue in the hope that as a community, maybe someone knows a better way to do things. Like I said, maybe more/new demo admins, or a new demo submission process. It seems as the game begins to become older and older with less active players, there is more effort being into putting news/demo's up to make things look seemingly more active before actually assessing the damage or legitimacy of what is being posted. I think back to years ago when demo posts were maybe 10 demos, even less sometimes, this is a completely different topic but it seemed to make demo releases far more meaningful; now it seems insignificant bulk dumps of demos. Regardless, back on-topic, that's all I was saying regarding cheating, I'm definitely not telling XJ to release all their secrets lol.

You know.

Page 1 of 2

Please log in to post replies.