Weekly Cups
So, as I observe, KZ audience finds live events entartaining. I thought that we should provide this kind of stuff more frequent. What I'm thinking of is Weekly Cups.
Pros of Weekly Cups in comparison with Tournaments:
- Tournaments (as we're observing from the current one) take too much time. Although one could say it's not a bad thing
- Weekly Cups offer a bigger room for participants (biggest Tournament offers 32 slots and lasts months, while Weekly Cups offer 16 in just one week)
- Weekly Cups offer opportunity for revealing more talants and making the show more diverse
- On plan, Weekly Cups should be played within one or two weekend days. This way schedule is maximum clear and precise, hence we have good chances to provide Stream and Commentating for every event
Cons
I honestly can't find any, although those are kinda two different things, tournaments and cups.
Structure:
-16 slots, single-elimination
- First 16 to apply go in. Every player can only participate once a month.
- 16 slots, sinlge-elimination, bo3, finals bo5 = around 4 hours of all playtime. I guess breaking the Cup in 2 days would be appropriate. Let's say 1st stage Saturday and the rest Sunday.
Maps:
Maps will be chosen randomly by an irc-bot a few minutes before the match starts, so there is always a surprise effect (one could say it's unfair, I'm up for your thoughts). If one or more chosen maps happen to belong as a WR to a participant then bot chooses substitute(s) for a map(s).
Stream & Commentating:
The point of all this is to make the event look more of a show. Hence both Stream and Commentating play big roles. I am currently looking for ones, as of now CamelCloud gladly agreed on providing both.
Spider1 is in for streaming too.
Prizes
Community is who shapes this event (that's why I posted this publicly), and prizes depend on donators. Coppenst was too kind to offer supplying the event at minimum $30 each week, perhaps even $50. Perhaps he will inspire someone else with his example but on a plan (hopefully), $50 is the weekly prize. We will see if XJ's budget could be investing some money, too.
I'm happy to say that D2B nicely offered to sponsoring us $20 each week for Weekly Cups.
I'm currently talking to leggie, perhaps it would be a good idea to even shift his challenge to a cup plaing platform. Answer is going to be given shortly I think.
EDIT: leggie denied the idea.
If donations go beyond needed sum, then rest of the money are kept for the next week event.
I thought that each week we would only have 1 winner, who takes all $50.
Subtitutes:
Of course there are always missing guys when it's about to start and subtitutes wil be taking their places. I'm not sure how to pick them, prehaps the one who was faster to respond to an admin (steam/irc) takes the spot?
Time regarding:
Signing-up newspost is coming on Frrday. All action starts the next day on Saturday.
Check-in time: 16:30. If player is not there after 5 minutes from Check-in then replacemnt is going to be found.
First Match is tarting at 17:00, then non-stop all matches till the Winner is revealed.
I posted this publicly, so hopefully, you have something to add or fix. Basically I want it to be shaped by the community, so all are pleased. Any feedback is highly appreciated.
Any help with: streaming, commentating, donating and even administrating matches is highly appreciated as well.
What can I say.. awesome guys
that would be really nice, and maybe have some sort of bigger monthly cup where the weekly cups are like qualifers into the bigger one :^)
either way it sounds nice, especially changing leggies challenge into something like a cup
Actually, forgot that each match is bo3 until the finals which is bo5. So my time calculations were wrong. Each map 5 minutes, 3 maps and taking into account possible delayes between matches or maps; that 3rd map sometimes doesn't need to be played is I take 15 minutes average for a match. So all in all it should take around 4 hours, if on plan. Kinda a lot so I guess it will be divided into 2 weekend days.
@kayne, sounds like an idea to consider in future, after we have worked out with the current plan.
That would be awesome. :)
I'm happy to say that D2B nicely offered to sponsoring us $20 each week for Weekly Cups.
You guys are awesome <3
Edit: Also, leggie denied the idea.
http://xtreme-jumps.eu/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?336457
Thread I posted a few months ago discussing this a bit. Anyways it's a great idea and good initiative that we need to build from the ground up and eventually stabilize it. But I feel it would be worth the hassle, especially with community-funded prizes giving a bit more incentive to participants and viewers alike, wanting to see some awesome battles.
Most of my personal thoughts on how beneficial this would be in general are in that initial thread, so go ahead and check it out if you want to view that. So this post will be more about specific things like format, maps, streaming, etc.
Maps – I don’t think maps should be chosen randomly a few minutes before the match starts. This is basically saying you need to pretty much know all 600 or so maps or at least be somewhat familiar with them. And say a player does actually hold the record of one of the maps picked, he gets punished and has it replaced? Seems a bit contradicting in my opinion. I was thinking maybe randomize at least thirty maps from the entire pool, and further randomize that into a five map pool to be used throughout the month. Maps like fu_extreme or any other map not suitable for cup play would be then removed and replaced. We should go through the trouble of manually making a huge official cup/tournament list with these maps already removed, although it could take awhile.
I can’t really think of any optimal way to go about picking maps besides making it entirely random, which in the end is always going to favor one player over the other (no matter if he holds a record or not) just based on styles and strengths. Maps would then be posted early on in the week, with each round leading up to the Grand Finals being Bo3, dismiss two and the finals having all five played. Meaning you need to actually learn all five maps beforehand if you want a good shot at winning.
Time Zones – As it stands now the cups would cater towards European players heavily, which makes sense since majority of players who sign up are predominately from that region. Just looking at your proposed times, although in rough draft obviously, it’s quite early for me personally. 16:30 check in is something like 9 am my time, which on a Saturday or Sunday I’m most likely not going to wake up to play video games.. or any day for that matter. I’m sure I’m not the only player from NA, SA, or hell from anywhere who has some concerns about this and you’re limiting any potential players from these regions to really actively partake in these cups.
Format– Honestly I like how you currently set up the format. Single-elimination, sixteen players, best of three for all matches up until the grand final, which would be best of five. I think this provides just enough matches for people to catch a glimpse of action over the span of four hours or however long you estimated it to be. The question that I am curious about is: four hours every Sunday vs. split into two days (Saturday/Sunday)? Personally I think it should be just every Sunday because things could become messy if it’s split into two days. You’re asking every participant to free up two days in a row whereas you could just knock it out in one day instead. Also it’s kind of ruining the momentum and hype of the tournament. Like oh sick Toffifee vs Chasquido in the semifinals next.. oh wait that’s it for today come back tomorrow. Both players could be coming off a high too and then suddenly they have to play the next day. I guess it depends on who you ask though, because I could see how four hours in one day is a little taxing especially when it would be every week or so.
I like kayne’s idea of having the first three or four weeks be qualifiers and the last week of the month being the final showdown between all the winners. This sort of builds up the hype and storyline for the entire month, potentially having some rivalries being born. For example, player A meets player B in the week one semi finals, but was swiftly knocked out. Player B, feeling a bit bummed out decides to enter week two (Qualifer #2) and wins it. Player A and player B now meet in the first round of the week 4 (Finals) for a grudge match. However, you probably have one big question like I do. There would be only three people qualified for the final week, which isn’t going to work. So maybe both players who made the grand finals each week are qualified for the final week which gives six total qualifier spots if I can do basic math. But then you still need two more players to make eight and a solid bracket.. so yeah I’m a bit stumped with that one. Perhaps do four weeks of qualifiers and at the end, overlapping into the next month, maybe a monthly cup. Then it becomes a bit disorganized and hectic though, so yeah honestly I don’t know where I’m going with this.. maybe I’m overthinking it. Any ideas?
Steaming – Streaming.. okay. To be blunt, I think the current tournament has utterly failed on this aspect. The streaming was never consistent, schedule wise or quality wise. When CamelCloud streamed the quality was watchable, but he also rarely streamed after like the first round of two. Obviously it’s awesome that he streamed at all, but for these cups streaming has to take #1 priority. Spider1 also occasionally streamed but the quality was god awful, which to be fair it was his first time streaming so he was still working out the kinks. So yeah first thing is to get a watchable quality, decent volume control, all that jazz. I can try to help out any streamers with this, although I’m still quite a novice at streaming myself. I’ll also try to help out with the streaming; I just need to test the bit rates and settings with 1.6 and stuff.
I have a feeling there’s people who would rather not launch up CS and join HLTV and would instead prefer to watch it over twitch. Of course it’s totally preference, but for those people who are in the twitch.tv boat they need that to be a consistent alternative or else they are just left out to dry. Also the twitch.tv chat can actually be somewhat regulated unlike HLTV which is basically a cesspool of immature kids most of the time. Not saying twitch.tv chat is any better by any means, just that there could be active moderators and stuff.
Also there’s the whole commentating thing which some people actually enjoy listening to. I know CamelCloud occasionally would commentate, or just blast some music. I honestly don’t know how you commentate a game like KZ, since there’s not much to really analyze but rather a lot of play-by-play action. I guess if you get two people who really mesh well together and have some chemistry then anything could work given the right personalities. The problem is finding the right people, so it would take some experimenting over the course of a few weekly cups. Doesn’t hurt to try though I feel.
Prizes – Big ups to Coppenst and D2B you guys are really awesome supporting KZ. Although I feel a lot of players would still play regardless of money it still adds another dimension to these cups. As a viewer I don’t mind watching tournaments that provide cash prizes as it makes it more exciting to see how player’s styles change when there’s more than just pride and glory on the line. And for players it obviously adds extra incentive to actively participate in cups, which is never a bad thing I think. However, I think $50 a week is asking a bit too much of our two really generous donators. Leggie proposed the idea of having reduced prizes for the qualifiers and a bigger prize pool for the finals, if that’s the way we end up going. What do Coppenst and D2B or any other potential donators feel is the best way to go about it? It is your money afterall and I’m sure you guys got some ideas of your own. More feedback is never a bad thing.
Final thoughts – Overall I feel this is a step in the right direction and am glad some people are putting more effort into getting this idea rolling. Even though KZ is a pretty niche game and community it’s still cool to make what we can out of it. And it seems there are some other passionate people around here who want to see some new things come to fruition. Hopefully this really takes off, still a lot of details to hammer out.
TL;DR – Read it, post more feedback.
It sounds really good, but it would be better if u guys choose the maps because some people have really shitty fps on some maps and if they come up in the random choosing it would be really sucky and unfair for some ppl
Good idea, but i think the price is too big.. Do like 20$, becuz there can be like 1 week all pros second not so pros, and 3 week noobies can take 50$... No no no..;\
Sorry to disappoint you, ShoCk, but I'm not going to be a part of this. Good luck.
Originally posted by CamelCloudSorry to disappoint you, ShoCk, but I'm not going to be a part of this. Good luck.
must have something to do with you no longer being admin :^)
Originally posted by kayneOriginally posted by CamelCloudSorry to disappoint you, ShoCk, but I'm not going to be a part of this. Good luck.
must have something to do with you no longer being admin :^)
you see, this is the type of attitude that makes people dislike you kayne, clearly it's because he's no longer admin, he cant do admin work if he's not an admin can he?
Originally posted by leggieOriginally posted by kayneOriginally posted by CamelCloudSorry to disappoint you, ShoCk, but I'm not going to be a part of this. Good luck.
must have something to do with you no longer being admin :^)
you see, this is the type of attitude that makes people dislike you kayne, clearly it's because he's no longer admin, he cant do admin work if he's not an admin can he?
nothing wrong with what i said? you seem to be the one who reads it in a negative way, it wasnt meant that way.. but you just have to read it in a negative way because you personally dont like me.
must have something to do with you no longer being admin :^)
obviously a try to provoke him, socially disabled or waht?
Originally posted by kayneOriginally posted by leggieOriginally posted by kayneOriginally posted by CamelCloudSorry to disappoint you, ShoCk, but I'm not going to be a part of this. Good luck.
must have something to do with you no longer being admin :^)
you see, this is the type of attitude that makes people dislike you kayne, clearly it's because he's no longer admin, he cant do admin work if he's not an admin can he?
nothing wrong with what i said? you seem to be the one who reads it in a negative way, it wasnt meant that way.. but you just have to read it in a negative way because you personally dont like me.
i don't think you understand english to well
@pizza, that's where we both took the idea from, 125fps/faceit cups ;) Good points indeed, I'll be more concrete though.
Maps - as I said, every point in my sketch is arguable and especially maps paragraph. I see your point, you can't really expect players to know or to be even slightly familiar with every single map XJ has. Although, on the other hand, I don't see how punishing a player that has a wr on chosen map is inappropriate as it clearly is an advantage that should be avoided. I know what you're thinking now: what if other player is not known by being good on the map, he doesn't have/ haven't had a wr but he might have geeked it to death or might have a national record that we are not aware of. And that's where we face an inevitable complication (unless someone has developed a better plan), we cannot know if player1 is good on this or another map but the least we can do is to make sure that the guy doesn't/didn't have a wr on the map so that it's all "officially fair" within XJ scope. And that's why Bo3 with possibility to eliminate one map for each player might be a very good solution, so as to handing out an opponent an opportunity to choose what map he does not want to play against this and not another guy. Players' preferences for maps is also inevitable to avoid part, it's like that in Quake too and other games. One is good on BloodRun while another on LostWorld. We could though find a balance and set things up that each map pool is diversified with map types, like hard, climb and bhop.
Mapchoice system could actually be simplier than you may think and even more functioning. It's that we can randomize maps by groups like you said, and further if we happen to have an unplayable map, we're finding a substitute for it by again eliminating out of the list one map for the blank, over and over again until we have an actual playable in cup map.
If we have Weekly Cups on Sundays and we have played it within that day and already have a result, then the newspost with results could be coming out on Mondays along with all the info including map pools for all stages for the next Cup.
I imagine it going this way pretty clear tbh.
Timez Zones - While averagely Europe has GMT +2, Asia has GMT +8 and America has GMT -4 (very roughly), we obviously can't please everyone. The best we could do is to concetrate on European audience with slight inclination to either Asia or America. Both regions have very good players and cards lay so that we have to choose.
I started writing down an analysis regarding time differences and possible solutions but it's all too complicated. Both America and Asia have kinda big regions and time zones are so different that it's even impossible to consider averagely. I would say 18:00 at GMT +1 is comfortable time for EU and I've heard you saying that it's somewhat around 1pm at yours so it's playable for both regions (Argentina too). Thats how it is, while Asia has very uncomfortable time to adjust to (we would have GMT +1 time set on 23:00 to just get started in order to make it somehow comfortable for Asians).
Format - Indeed, 16 single-elimination is the best to come up with. Regarding whether we should split 4 hours into two days or make it all in just one... I guess both are doable. And I agree that one day sounds better. However, there are a few moments to be discussed then:
- Not only 4 hours of matches straight is exhausting for spectators, but imagine cup admins, streamers and especially commentators. Thing will work only if we get big enough team, so that guys could work by turns. It's a hardly achievable task though. I doubt we will have problems with cup admins, but how about streamers and commentators? Kreedz is not the kind of game to have that much to commentate. Maybe it would make sense to stream & commentate closing matches only, like starting off with semifinals and on? Or stream all the day (if possible) but commentate as said.
Tournament managing work is not very enjoyable and is quite stressful. I doubt we will get through this without problems but I'll be actively looking for a team.
So basically, kayne's idea and all. You see, quite a few opinions say that $50 a week is too much of a prize (even though it's not a problem as of now). We might as well put say $30 which does not sound at all. Or we could use kayne's idea which perfectly solves the problem (in theory). Like, as was said, having first weeks as prize-free qualifiers for the main event. But then again we face a problem that you have described. And overlapping into the next month sounds a bit hectic and disorganized indeed. So imo, we should stick to just weekly cups with money prizes. It would be nice though to hear what donators have to say about that, if they think so too that $50 for a week is too much.
Streaming - While I was writing that we will be having problems with streaming and commentating, things became even worse noow for that point, CamelCloud is not going to take a part in all this. Which means that we lost perhaps the most valuable figure in this, good streaming and commentating. Now we are only left with Spider1 being a streamer with poor quality and your from-time-to-time help with streaming.
As I said, my eyes are set on gathering a team, and if I don't succeed, I believe the whole point of event is missing as streaming & commentating are the key moments in hosting that kind of tournament.
Prizes - so as it stands now, your concern about $50 prize pools each week mainly regards to donators and impudence of asking that much out of their pocket. I'm happy to say though, that leggie agreed on sponsoring the weekly cups :) I'm now somehow not worried much as we have 3 potential donators who originally offered us more than $100 a week. And we accept only half of that.
Big thanks to all donators <3
Thanks for your feedback. Feel free to argue my points if you feel like, hopefully it will bring us any closer to success.
Sounds cool to me, would also motivate me to play some more.
As for streaming, I might be able to help out. I haven't tried streaming CS yet, but I did it with several other games. So I think this should work out. Also I'm not sure if I can provide high quality with my current internet connection. Anyways, you can contact me if you want me to try it out.
Originally posted by LesicSounds cool to me, would also motivate me to play some more.
As for streaming, I might be able to help out. I haven't tried streaming CS yet, but I did it with several other games. So I think this should work out. Also I'm not sure if I can provide high quality with my current internet connection. Anyways, you can contact me if you want me to try it out.
Cool! See you soon :)
I can help you with streaming, if you want.
Originally posted by NokkanI can help you with streaming, if you want.
Contact you <3
Please log in to post replies.