Map releases
Yes hello!
As it seems many people are unhappy about how the whole map release process is handled and i think we should come up with a good solution for this instead of constantly complaining.
Atm XJ releases official maps with the "kz_" tag and custom maps. Those maps are also directly hosted at the site. As we all now, providing downloads costs money. Due to the massive amount of maps that have been build over the years it costs quite a lot i assume. Thats been the reason why the whole map checking is taking place, to make sure this money is not "wasted" to buggy, ugly or unplayble maps. Fair enough, right?
The problem thats coming with this is, who decides what is good and what not. Also, do these people take their work (Yes, it is definately work) serious, or do they get bored, having personal issues with ppl and so forth.
The way i see it, we should change this to a more community based system, but not completly.
Basicly i imagine it like that:
- Every map has to be posted at a presentation/release forum, where Level Designer can actually officially release their maps as custom maps. They have to host them by themselves tho.
- Mapadmins check threads and post news about those maps beeing developed/released to kinda promote them.
- Every month could be a public voting for the best releases and for which maps are worth beeing in the content list of XJ.
- The admins check the maps, and if they feel some of them are really that awesome post a vote for beeing official "kz_" maps.
This way, the admin team keeps the ability to organize the maps that are beeing hosted on the site and/or get the "kz_" tag and the mappers can still release every map they want.
Well, thats just my point of view. Any thoughts?
Cheers
well.. one thing is for sure. if i created a map like kz_j2s_summercliff (which is very popular as well as stupidly easy to build - sorry solid, i don't mean it bad) today, i'd be send to cosy for building a boring map with no chance for approval. that's how it is.
Not sure if I understood it correctly, are you suggesting that any mapper can make his map into the xj's map list without approval or map being checked for bugs etc at all? I never really understood the point of separating maps into kz and custom since both take place in the same list and one is as much playable as another. We don't want bugged maps.
Hey guys,
First of all thanks for trying to make things better.
Secondly, I don't want to throw off your suggestion, but unfortunately as time and many attempts at this have shown us, involving the community in any map procedures, checking, voting, etc, it's a failure, due to the fact that no one is active there. There will be some good threads with some feedbacks (but not enough) and there will be threads with no feedback at all. We tried this a couple of times and it faild all the time.
I know map releases have been really rare, but that will change. Ive been handling this website for not so long and we are working on fixing all the problems, which btw are many.
The community just needs more maps and frequent releases. And we will give that!
I have a major problem with all this...not what FragGyver said because that is initiative.
1. Cosy exists due to incorrect decisions of map admins who many not actually understand what they are doing. Don't get mad at me until you read the rest please if you are an admin. I am only here to help. :D
2. The only way to get 90% of the maps sent in into a good, releasable shape, is to teach and assist the way I have done for many years on the XJ scene and in KZmod with undying patience. The rest of that utopia depends on the lazyness of each mapper himself/herself.
3. There should NEVER EVER be a map that is denied a KZ_ tag if it was made for this site and sent in as one. If it sucks.....Read number 2 please. Telling a mapper he can't name his map KZ is telling that mapper not to map for us because he sucks. Which is reason number two for the existance of COSY and many other sites before it that housed denied maps starting with silent noob for those who remember his "maps" :D
4. A Mapper requires a Map Admin team and the Public to guide him to a level to be able to create a good map and nothing more. The decision to add a map to an official XJ server can be done, like FragGyver suggested, by vote. A vote of those people who are GOING TO PLAY IT. Not admins who dont play them that much online.
5. What this scene needs is people like me: Teachers.
Thats what Map Admins should be and not people who deny without a word as to why. Teach new mappers design aspects and how to reduce frame problems and to realize that gameplay is number 1 and look is number 2 but is still very important. I will even sit down with the Map Admin team and discuss such things if desired to help!
Goldhop is perfect example fo this. It IS buttugly, has the kz tag, but the gameplay rules and the frames are perfect. It will never make it to the cover of the KZ magazine, but articles will be written about it nonetheless.
Mappers:
Like FragGyver says, because he knows how KZmod worked so well: A Map Presentation forum is required.
Players who love testing jumps and finding shortcuts should just dive right into a forum like this because you help the whole of the community by doing what you do best.
With the addition of such a forum, the Mapper, has to realize he is doing to have others help him/her improve the map, and wait for comments.
When all major "bugs" are gone, put the map up for an official release, which is checked by REALLY qualified mappers and the server vote Frag spoke of if that ever takes place.
The map vote.
I dont fully agree. I think change is excellent and keeps things fresh. To my wishes, all maps are tested as to what I've said here making all the maps good, so I see this vote being the following thing if this utopia becomes reality like it was/is in KZmod:
1. How many maps should be in the map cycle.That number of maps out of the entire list should be presented and voted on.
EACH month those maps get in the cycle. Then next month a new vote appears. This creates a few things:
-a dynamic map cycle
-things for people to do and think about.
Nuff said........Let us see what happens.
Be a person who makes things happen.....
Good points there Soul.
@Shock Basicly, yes. Any map should be in the mapcycle, whatever quality. However, XJ should not be forced to host all these maps, "just" the records. Thats basicly the difference.
@Ovidiu First of all, thanks for even considering such things man. I know its frustrating to administrate a site when there is so much crits and drama.
I know the problem about the activity in mapchecking, i have been there myself back in, i guess 2009ish. What im saying is, let the ppl release there maps whatever the quality is. And you decide for yourself which one of those get hosted at the site.
You wont ever find a highly dedicated mapcheck team, that checks maps, day in and day out, taking screenshots of bugs, communicating with the mappers, check 10 different versions of maps, teach things and stuff. Thats just my experience;)
I am pretty sure if we let the mappers have complete freedom and help by the community, instead of crits by an admin staff the activity would rise.
Frag said:
You wont ever find a highly dedicated mapcheck team, that checks maps, day in and day out, taking screenshots of bugs, communicating with the mappers, check 10 different versions of maps, teach things and stuff. Thats just my experience;)
I handled exactly that back when Millet and rad0n and Angie began mapping. Each of them will remember what I did to help them learn stuff. I even taught Kreedz some things. My point is, if the good mappers among us all can keep an eye on this map presentation threads, players who love map checking (shortcuts, texturebug and general bug and cheat finding), and generally everyone just playing them during "Map Presentation phase"......the end results are going to rock. No one will have a job to do, they will just have a lot of fun and always have new material to have fun with and be part of its creation process.
It will function like a community team effort.
I will be here to help this. I am sure many others will too. I just has to be presented correctly. Everyone in the community has to see his "role" in the map game. Everyone actually wants the same goal:
-alot of good maps
-alot of activity
-alot of things to do here
-alot of new experiences
Work together to get exactly that. FragGyver said it best though:
"I am pretty sure if we let the mappers have complete freedom and help by the community, instead of crits by an admin staff, the activity will rise."
Cosy lets mappers to have complete freedom, as result too many short, boring and bugged maps. Hosting records for such maps I consider inadequate. XJ providing certain gameplay experience and mapadmins should maintain that.
Personally I would like to see:
1. complete transparency in mapchecking process for public (post factum)
2. better communication with mappers and help offer. Even education if possible as SF suggested.
3. attempt to make public checks to work again one way or another
4. releasing fewer maps but more frequently maybe
I get your point spr1n.
But i still think, having short, boring and bugged maps is better than having no maps.
I think SF made a good suggestion by saying "1. How many maps should be in the map cycle.That number of maps out of the entire list should be presented and voted on.
EACH month those maps get in the cycle. Then next month a new vote appears. This creates a few things:
-a dynamic map cycle
-things for people to do and think about."
Let ppl release their maps. If they are superbad, the community will let them know and wont vote em into the mapcycle. But to deny a maprelease is, no offense to the staff, absolutely hilarious imo.
For me a map with some bugs is not that important, kreedzers are used to bugs and how to use them for advantage and fun (oh you silly hl engine hihi). New maps for the people hurray!
Originally posted by spr1nCosy lets mappers to have complete freedom, as result too many short, boring and bugged maps. Hosting records for such maps I consider inadequate. XJ providing certain gameplay experience and mapadmins should maintain that.
Personally I would like to see:
1. complete transparency in mapchecking process for public (post factum)
2. better communication with mappers and help offer. Even education if possible as SF suggested.
3. attempt to make public checks to work again one way or another
4. releasing fewer maps but more frequently maybe
I would not agree on the "short and boring" part because that's your own opinion... Some people actually like those "short and boring" maps. I can agree to a certain point tho, if there's a lot of 10 second maps it would be better for cosy I guess, but it definitely wouldn't hurt to create more 40-ish second maps, they can actually be a lot of fun imo, and if you look at cosy, I guess alot of other people would agree with me since cosy has some really popular short maps that you call "short and boring" :D
Some short maps are really funny imo! It seems like you only accept like 5min+ maps these latest years. Maps under 1min I think also should have a chance to be accpeted.
Indeed, saying all short maps on cosy are boring is a subjective opinion and is not valid since there's so many releases and everyone tries to beat these short maps. These kind of opinions come from people who aren't playing that often (no insult intended, but it's the truth).
I agree 10-20-30 seconds maps actually suck, as they will get, with time to be improved by 1-5 miliseconds.
But the first thing that i want to draw attention here on xj is the lack of communication between the map checking team and those that submit maps. Plus the slow work rate of the map checking team that spans over months and months (feel free to argue with what i'm saying).
Soulfather is right, actually helping submiters, teaching them (where applied), or providing some information of "better mapping" would be the best way to give mappers the feeling that XJ actually wants their maps. Don't come up after 2 months with a list of what to be changed in a map, it plain sucks.
There needs to be an actively communication, not 2 months of silence and then poof...."do this, and that".
Then there's the last releases of let's say, 1 year, or even 2 years (maps releases). With some exceptions, they're all long maps, boring maps, that no one plays on public. So this talk about short boring maps is actually the other way around.
Fact is the majority likes shorter maps (1-2-3 minutes long).
And shock, i don't know why you always talk about buggy maps. Maps have to be checked for bugs and whatnot, and it's 2014 not 2006. Of course no buggy map will get accepted (but mappers need to feel like they're getting helped cuz not all of them are "pro's" like chrizzy solid or radon).
Originally posted by spr1nCosy lets mappers to have complete freedom, as result too many short, boring and bugged maps. Hosting records for such maps I consider inadequate. XJ providing certain gameplay experience and mapadmins should maintain that.
Personally I would like to see:
1. complete transparency in mapchecking process for public (post factum)
2. better communication with mappers and help offer. Even education if possible as SF suggested.
3. attempt to make public checks to work again one way or another
4. releasing fewer maps but more frequently maybe
I agree with no2,3 and 4.
Also i agree to what soulfather and FragGyver said.
[blockquote]- Every map has to be posted at a presentation/release forum, where Level Designer can actually officially release their maps as custom maps. They have to host them by themselves tho.[/blockquote]
It was already done. Public mapchecking was the name of the forum. There was even a menu on the right side at the top of the online menu, where you could see the last 5 voted maps. Activity was 0. Mappers could and still can submit their maps free out to the public as custom without submitting them here for mapcheck. The difference is that there won't be any record on XJ or a download link. I can reactivate the forum so you guys can see the actual activity.
[blockquote]- Mapadmins check threads and post news about those maps being developed/released to kinda promote them.[/blockquote]
Again,when the publicmapcheck system was introduced mapadmin and the whole community was given a chance to check all maps nfront of the whole community. Again, the activity was almost 0, ~20, 30 votes from 70k members, some from friends who were newly registered members with one or two post just so the mapper can get his map accepted, others only with votes like "YES, awesome map accepted it" and no proper feedback.
[blockquote]- Every month could be a public voting for the best releases and for which maps are worth beeing in the content list of XJ.[/blockquote]
It wasn't every month, but when a map reaches let's say 30 votes, the map was being forwarded to xj map admins where we did quick checks searching for left over bugs before the release.
[blockquote]- The admins check the maps, and if they feel some of them are really that awesome post a vote for beeing official "kz_" maps.[/blockquote]
Se my other comments.
@SF
[blockquote]1. Cosy exists due to incorrect decisions of map admins who many not actually understand what they are doing. Don't get mad at me until you read the rest please if you are an admin. I am only here to help. :D[/blockquote]
Yes, cosy exist because of that, and not we still love you <3.
[blockquote]2. The only way to get 90% of the maps sent in into a good, releasable shape, is to teach and assist the way I have done for many years on the XJ scene and in KZmod with undying patience. The rest of that utopia depends on the lazyness of each mapper himself/herself.[/blockquote]
You say that each map should be with a reasonable shape, we also says that. But does this includes X square jumps with straight walls?
Good idea for assisting mappers, really. Who will do that? You? 90% of the mappers are super lazy who want their maps on XJ, but when we report them 20+ bugs (null, texture, light, brush bugs) their answer is something like this "nah, I won't change anything", "nowadays you must know XJ staff and have connections to get your map accepted" and many others. I'm already busy with tons of other things on XJ as you know and we all have a personal life to take care. There are plenty of tutorials over the internet.
[blockquote]3. There should NEVER EVER be a map that is denied a KZ_ tag if it was made for this site and sent in as one. If it sucks.....Read number 2 please. Telling a mapper he can't name his map KZ is telling that mapper not to map for us because he sucks. Which is reason number two for the existance of COSY and many other sites before it that housed denied maps starting with silent noob for those who remember his "maps" :D[/blockquote]
Sometimes mappers submit their maps for KZ_ tag, which is cool. We never told mappers they can't name their maps with KZ_ tag. Sure, you can name it, but please don't release it on the public with KZ_ tag because it's forbidden. If someone submits a map with KZ_ tag we will check his map and give him a proper feedback. If the map has many bugs, we would simply deny the map until the mapper fixes all bugs and if everything is fine after that we would accept his map.
[blockquote]4. A Mapper requires a Map Admin team and the Public to guide him to a level to be able to create a good map and nothing more. The decision to add a map to an official XJ server can be done, like FragGyver suggested, by vote. A vote of those people who are GOING TO PLAY IT. Not admins who dont play them that much online.[/blockquote]
See my comments to Frag.
[blockquote]5. What this scene needs is people like me: Teachers.
Thats what Map Admins should be and not people who deny without a word as to why. Teach new mappers design aspects and how to reduce frame problems and to realize that gameplay is number 1 and look is number 2 but is still very important. I will even sit down with the Map Admin team and discuss such things if desired to help![/blockquote]
Like I said before, I would be more than happy if you start writing tutorials. Our articles page is where we host all the tutorials (text and videos). When I have more time, I will upload there ~50 1.6 mapping tutorials from me and many other mappers. Just because I don't post anymore in the denied/accepted maps thread it doesn't mean that I don't get in touch with mappers.
[blockquote]Mappers:
Like FragGyver says, because he knows how KZmod worked so well: A Map Presentation forum is required.
Players who love testing jumps and finding shortcuts should just dive right into a forum like this because you help the whole of the community by doing what you do best.
With the addition of such a forum, the Mapper, has to realize he is doing to have others help him/her improve the map, and wait for comments.[/blockquote]
Again, see my comments to Frag.
The community wants new maps, so do the XJ admins. However, when we gave the community an option to accept the maps, nothing. No comments, no threads, no proper feedback. So you can see that we can't rely on the community to do this, because simply 90% of them are lazy. The rest 10% have real life.
@Frag
[blockquote]I know the problem about the activity in mapchecking, i have been there myself back in, i guess 2009ish. What im saying is, let the ppl release there maps whatever the quality is. And you decide for yourself which one of those get hosted at the site.[/blockquote]
People ARE ALLOWED to release their maps where and whenever they want. The only thing we ask them is to not releasing their maps with KZ_ tag on public, before our admins check them, simply because to honor KreedZ.
Hey PsYxO, thanks for the detailed answer :)!
I dunno man. I really feel this whole system is just way too complex for a rather simple thing like a map release. Every other community (not kz related) does it simply by posting beta stages of the maps, getting suggestions and help from community, and release the map. If its good it gets a newspost and thats it.
Things must be simplier!
We all know that the more people there are to accomplish a task, the longer it will take and the more problems they will encounter (communications,...).
Things were working well long time ago, only one person was picking up the maps. Why not do this now?
1. People send their map
2. one guy (admin, CEO,...) plays it for 10-15min, accepts it or not, with lower standards than nowadays.
3. Map is added to record pool
4. If a huge bug or something not cool is discovered afterwards, map is removed, even if people recorded it
The Map Admins would still be there to help mappers who want to fix their bugs etc.
Most of these maps would be included as custom maps, the best ones as kz_ ones.
We've seen that all these not-so-good maps accepted on Cosy-Climbing never prevented good maps from being made too.
I already see the "dictatorship blablabla" coming, but no one was complaining when Kreedz was the only one to pick maps. Maps weren't as evolved as nowadays and I guess most of Map Admins have more knowledge than him nowadays, so someone could take care of it.
Nikita! and WeMeRA, I never said ALL short maps are boring. Of course there are enough good and enjoyable short(and long) maps, but also cosy has " too many short, boring and bugged maps" and a lot of people do recognize this issue . I would gladly see more fun short maps here, we actually need them along with other good and fun ones, but making XJ a dump for all bad maps that just few people enjoy like on cosy is ridiculous.
Originally posted by spr1nNikita! and WeMeRA, I never said ALL short maps are boring. Of course there are enough good and enjoyable short(and long) maps, but also cosy has " too many short, boring and bugged maps" and a lot of people do recognize this issue . I would gladly see more fun short maps here, we actually need them along with other good and fun ones, but making XJ a dump for all bad maps that just few people enjoy like on cosy is ridiculous.
I didn't mean that XJ should be a dumpster for idiotic maps. I meant that a few more shorter maps should be accepted if ofcourse those posted can handle the standards.
WeMeRA, Im sorry I should not have addressed this to you as well. Although I have to say not just 5min+ maps are getting accepted, 1+ maps have exactly the same chances, but yea XJ is way more careful checking maps shorter than that
Okay, here is my opinions on this subject. I personally don't think all maps should be released on this site. Like others have said before me, the amount of short maps that take 15 minutes to build is too many. I remember when the mapcheck system was introduced, many maps were removed from the site and several mappers were invited to the team, myself included. I, and most of the community agreed with these actions.
Now, the system is flawed. It could be better, especially with more testers to get a broader view of the maps. But we already tried that a long time ago with public checks for custom maps. It was rather disappointing. Most of the time if a map even got 20 or so votes it was mostly friends of the mappers just voting to say YES. Even if the rules strictly said and we kept informing them that you had to post at least some words about why you like this map and why you think it should be accepted.
The general interest in new maps is fairly low. That's at least how I feel. There isn't a lot of interest when posting images or betas of new maps in the forums. I have tried it multiple times but mostly I get maybe 5 people responding with feedback, and even fewer with some constructive feedback when I can see that over 100 people downloaded a beta version. I loose interest to make maps when I see few responses to new maps.
XJ could give the public voting a shot again. Something should be changed since the lack of map releases is a trouble, not only the community, but mappers who loose motivation. If we could get the community to actively check and post in the map presentation forum and also an eventual map voting forum, I think more and better maps would come from it.
Please log in to post replies.