Map releases

Started by FragGyver mapper
02/03/2014 23:54
Page 2 of 2
FragGyver mapper03/03/2014 11:50

Originally posted by Chrizzy
It was rather disappointing. Most of the time if a map even got 20 or so votes it was mostly friends of the mappers just voting to say YES. Even if the rules strictly said and we kept informing them that you had to post at least some words about why you like this map and why you think it should be accepted.


Id like to quote SF
SoUlFaThEr: and people should have the feeling they are part of the process and not doing a job

Thats exactly the problem, with all those rules and ppl HAVE to vote on maps to get accepted takes the fun away. No other mapping community is working like this for a reason.
If you feel that its is inavoidable to seperate the good from the bad, you need that system. But then you need a large amount of highly motivated ppl that do this JOB and probably drive alot of new mappers to other sites, who could be big ones in the future. Beeing denied is the no1 reason for mappers to leave the site.

So its choosing between having an active, natural map creation system with the downside of having a certain amount of "bad" maps and having an inactive, rule driven system with the outcome of a few high quality maps.

Thats like what i get out of it :)

qfiman*03/03/2014 22:13

what about this:

1. map admins do some sort of pre-check of new maps (10-20 mins of playing each uploaded map to make sure it is playable and does not have major flaws and bugs)
2. a newspost is written, including dl-links for those maps which passed the pre-check. the maps are now in some sort of "beta-status" which means they can be played by the community.
>> this "beta-status" lasts for 14 days or something. whitin that timespan users can report unknown bugs and shortcuts, thus forcing the mapper to fix them.
3. if there are no bugs etc detected/ the mapper fixed all reported stuff, the map gets officially released "automatically" after that timespan (including another newspost).

i know this process would need to be monitored by some people and is not flawless but it may finally call attention to public mapchecking involving mapadmins AND the community.

just my two cents

SoUlFaThEr mapper03/03/2014 23:14

I do not agree with a public voting for maps...unless that vote is pointed at which maps get into the official map cycle for any of the official maps. Having the public vote for maps, like chrizzy said, will fail.

If you guys would lay your trust in me, I have a proven system that works. It will work here as well. It only has to be presented the right way and everything will be fine. The nice thing about what I have in my head, is that all parties are satisfied.
I have a few interviews coming soon that will clarify this situation and my ideas for them.

FLP03/03/2014 23:24

I don't understand why even now in 2014 xj still doesn't have any slide map...Slide is also part of kz just like bhop and long jump and sliders deserve a chance to have more records on maps that they like to play.I'm not talking about 10s maps,I'm talking about 1-5 min maps.

I don't give a fuck if some map is pretty or ugly as long as it have fun jumps for me to play,and in last couple of years I got a felling that you were chosing maps mainly because of there design which is not the purpose why 95% of us are playing this game...
Last kz maps that I played more then 5 times and I'm still playing are kz_nix,kz_memphisblock and kz_dare which were all relesed in 2011...
Custom maps qsk_fractured,qsk_qube and fu_extreme from 2012...

Best advice that I can give you is to focus more on the jumps then on the textures.

SoUlFaThEr mapper04/03/2014 01:43

if i have my way........the necessity for a "custom map" which is just a map that wasnt allowed to be here when it actually belongs here...........will cease to exist.

there will be no reason for the existance of COSY.....which is only a place designed to house all the maps that got denied.

I want them to stop denying anything

SwiftSpear12/03/2014 18:44(edited 12/03/2014 19:27)

Originally posted by FLP
I don't understand why even now in 2014 xj still doesn't have any slide map...Slide is also part of kz just like bhop and long jump and sliders deserve a chance to have more records on maps that they like to play.I'm not talking about 10s maps,I'm talking about 1-5 min maps.

I don't give a fuck if some map is pretty or ugly as long as it have fun jumps for me to play,and in last couple of years I got a felling that you were chosing maps mainly because of there design which is not the purpose why 95% of us are playing this game...
Last kz maps that I played more then 5 times and I'm still playing are kz_nix,kz_memphisblock and kz_dare which were all relesed in 2011...
Custom maps qsk_fractured,qsk_qube and fu_extreme from 2012...

Best advice that I can give you is to focus more on the jumps then on the textures.

By "slide maps" do you mean surf maps? You can't surf well without modifying server physics variables, at which point you have an inconsistent basis for world records, because if sv_airaccelerate is higher then everything is easier/faster. Current KZ must be run on a default server physics setup. That being said, there could be a required standard server surf setup. airaccelerate 300 seems to be the accepted standard elsewhere.

Originally posted by SoUlFaThEr
if i have my way........the necessity for a "custom map" which is just a map that wasnt allowed to be here when it actually belongs here...........will cease to exist.

there will be no reason for the existance of COSY.....which is only a place designed to house all the maps that got denied.

I want them to stop denying anything

KZmod has very good maps for the record.

Maybe to offset the map download bandwidth issues we can do map pack torrents.

Personally my biggest concern is we're punishing mappers for making long maps, and we're punishing runners for running them if we say the 10 second abc_shortbhop demo is worth as much in the rankings as the kz_world run. The big split I see between cozy records and records here is something like 55% of cozy records are under 1 minute, where as here it's about 15%. I think that problem can be addressed outside of an exclusive formal map submission process though.

FLP13/03/2014 01:53

@SwiftSpear by slide maps I mean slide maps :)

SwiftSpear13/03/2014 02:19

Ah, I haven't played one yet in 1.6

SoUlFaThEr mapper15/03/2014 14:33

Yeah ....what are the reasons for not allowing challenges such as surf and slide to have records here. I heard something about server settings. ?

Cobrex mapper Tournament #215/03/2014 15:05

Slide doesn't require changing the server's settings.

dEMolite mapper15/03/2014 20:20(edited 15/03/2014 20:21)

just make the kztag free and allow maps to be submitted for being listed in the recordlist. maps will go on quantity instead of quality but you can still select the ones for being in the recordlist.

daza mapper15/03/2014 21:28

My view on it is that you should stop judging maps based on looks and design. I honestly don't think that the majority of the playerbase judges maps on anything else but gameplay. Besides popular maps are the ones with the funniest gameplay, see bkz_goldbhop forexample. Also as another point on the servers I play on (kz-endo mainly) we almost never play xtremejumps maps? Coincidence? I'm gonna leave that to you.

I just think that instead of this attitude of upholding standards needs to go completely. This is not 2004, this is 2014, the counterstrike playerbase is shrinking, new players cant find the mod cause most of the maps have seperate tags, so searching for servers can be incredible difficult for new players nowadays. You are digging your own grave by doing this! You are demotivating mappers to stop working for the community, thus lowering overall activity on the website, records and everything diminishes because you don't release new content as often as is needed. Cosy has the right model in my opinion. Demolite's idea is interesting but presents a similar problem.



Keo mapper15/03/2014 22:20

Originally posted by daza
My view on it is that you should stop judging maps based on looks and design. I honestly don't think that the majority of the playerbase judges maps on anything else but gameplay. Besides popular maps are the ones with the funniest gameplay, see bkz_goldbhop forexample. Also as another point on the servers I play on (kz-endo mainly) we almost never play xtremejumps maps? Coincidence? I'm gonna leave that to you.

I just think that instead of this attitude of upholding standards needs to go completely. This is not 2004, this is 2014, the counterstrike playerbase is shrinking, new players cant find the mod cause most of the maps have seperate tags, so searching for servers can be incredible difficult for new players nowadays. You are digging your own grave by doing this! You are demotivating mappers to stop working for the community, thus lowering overall activity on the website, records and everything diminishes because you don't release new content as often as is needed. Cosy has the right model in my opinion. Demolite's idea is interesting but presents a similar problem.


totally agree with you daza.

mao moviemaker16/03/2014 01:37

I think that if a map presents a decent challenge, is not too short and is not bugged then let it in, maybe like in the custom section at least. Maps are getting more and more to the limit until the point of being unbeatable, there are a lot of maps to improve for decent skilled players don't get me wrong. But the thing is that we'll get to the point that no member will record if we keep like this. We need more maps guys!

Nikita16/03/2014 02:13

Originally posted by daza
My view on it is that you should stop judging maps based on looks and design. I honestly don't think that the majority of the playerbase judges maps on anything else but gameplay. Besides popular maps are the ones with the funniest gameplay, see bkz_goldbhop forexample. Also as another point on the servers I play on (kz-endo mainly) we almost never play xtremejumps maps? Coincidence? I'm gonna leave that to you.

I just think that instead of this attitude of upholding standards needs to go completely. This is not 2004, this is 2014, the counterstrike playerbase is shrinking, new players cant find the mod cause most of the maps have seperate tags, so searching for servers can be incredible difficult for new players nowadays. You are digging your own grave by doing this! You are demotivating mappers to stop working for the community, thus lowering overall activity on the website, records and everything diminishes because you don't release new content as often as is needed. Cosy has the right model in my opinion. Demolite's idea is interesting but presents a similar problem.

EXACTLY... Just keeping the good looking maps and pretty much ONLY 5+ min maps is bullshit. XJ needs more FUN maps, short or long. I've said it before, maybe accepting a lot of 10 second maps would be wrong, but adding some 30 seconds - 1 min wouldn't be anything wrong if the players enjoy the map :s XJ NEEDS more maps like kz_sola, clintmo_bhoptoon, dg_winterclimb, cg_coldbhop(_v2) you name them... they are some of the more fun maps imo and I know that I'm not the only one thinking that way.

byob mapper16/03/2014 03:28(edited 16/03/2014 03:32)

For me,a kreedz map has no effect whether it's textured like goldbhop or it's done like sp00n's crazy shit. The only thing that gives me a feeling about a map is:

a) the jump flow, well placed and interesting jumps, replayability, if it's challenging climb I will enjoy it even more and play it even more times, and

b) the adventurous feeling. This is what hooked me in kz when I started playing, climbing maps like kz_man_redrock or kz_bigezclimb. The view to the top that you must reach was what got me started, the big technique curve is what held me into it. Now I may play a map for the adventure feeling once in a while, but I'm more into technique based maps with challenging jumps in climb mostly.

In this process, I can never think of myself factoring in the design of a map in categorizing it as interesting or not.

A real level designer needs to be many things, a kz level designer has a whole other touch to it. Mixing both is a task that needs very much time spent on this activity. But if you have to choose from the two, choose the kz level designer cause his map is actually going to be enjoyed and not just looked at by the players.

And the useless piece of information for the day, I can't remember a map that was released in the past year that I played more than once. Most are spot on in the level design aspect, but nothing to make you play it again.

Leave map checking system as it's now, just start valuing gameplay over design.

Page 2 of 2

Please log in to post replies.