more WR's (an idea for maps with huge SC&
After watching demos for maps like marioland, volcano, etc. I was thinking that there should be new slots for record takers on maps to complete the map the normal way.
This gives more records to be taken and the mappers satasfaction of seeing their map completed the way they made it.
One way this could be done is disallowing any SC that cuts time by more then 5 or 10 seconds for example. That rule alone would cut almost all of the really map altering SC's.
This would mean all the maps that have huge SC's like marioland, volcano, gigablock, trippin, would be just as interesting to watch without said SC's because it's not just a minor difference here and there, it's more then 1 and in some cases 5 minutes difference in maps.
Just an idea.
Men that'n not bad but i think that they r too lazy to give the maps two ways :D
I don't think too lazy, I think the space and the traffic is too high then... but i don't know, maybe it's possible :)
good idea, but in reality.. there's only like 2 maps that should be changed like that... that would be clintmo_longjumper & risk_compound... both got destroyed but lame sc's.. especially compound.. i still haven't seen that map in full (fps is to low to bhop on it :P)
1/3 of marioland is cut off, more then 1/3 of trippin is cut off, more then 1/3 of volcano is cut off, about 1/3rd of Ceramicblock is cut off, more then half of mountainchurch is cut off, more then half of gigablock is cut off, atleast 1/3 of ultrablock is cut off, more then half of oldgraveyard is cut off, and how about the newer maps like cg_islands?
Trust me there's PLENTY of maps that would have drasticly different times if done without their shortcuts.
Z0k3r, what could be done is a map could be sudgested to be allowed for a new demo, and approved by you guys assuming you think the map would be different enough if done without said SC's.
[ Edited 10/04/07 - 21:58:12 ]
I like the idea, and esp for the mappers this would be very nice to see. But I somewhat think that it will never get accepted/done. faker said that a map like compound were never gonna have 2 ways, one with the huge sc, and one normal, 'cause it's a shortcut, and not another course.
That's a great idea, but you know...
That's just gonna "give" easy records :)
Fore example, if admins apply this rule on all the maps what need it, I'm gonna take gigablock, I'm gonna take marioland, I'm gonna take cg_islands... etc etc etc =)
That can be interesting for demo watchers and mappers ^^
People like you get all the records ANYWAY :P I'm not offering an alternative for people that arn't the seasoned pros to get records. I'm offering an alternative that'll allow people to see these maps being played the way they were intended.
Edit: Also, i think the "it's not another course" reason is total bull, it IS another course, the course without a shortcut. And there are alot of maps that alot of people would like to see done without whatever massive shortcut they have. I think it's unfair that despite hundreds of people wanting to see a map like compound completed it's intended way, that it probably won't happen just because the views of 1 or 2 admin say "it's the way it's ment to be"
Now i know that admins word is law, but that's not what makes the KZ community great, it's the community. Us, the people that map, record, find SC's, new teq's (like the countjump) that keeps the KZ train rolling. So i think it should be up to all the people that watch the demos to be the ones that decide if a map like compound deserves a 2nd run.
[ Edited 10/04/07 - 22:28:09 ]
how bout we go back to being oldschool and dissallow any 'new school' techniques.. like bhoping, countjumps.. lj's over 240 :P now THAT would be interesting to see XD
pwnd... xD
actually i agree with arokh... i would like to see demos of the whole map...like gigablock(i saw a0ke`s demo...so cool!) or compund, even if the jumpbug is awesome, and it takes incredible luck and skill ofc to make it, and the compound sc is so funny... but both maps are really cool, with really nice jumps, and as arokh said, the mappers intended for the whole map to be played :P
it would be cool :D
dont forget kz_dp_medieval
People like you get all the records ANYWAY :P I'm not offering an alternative for people that arn't the seasoned pros to get records. I'm offering an alternative that'll allow people to see these maps being played the way they were intended.
Edit: Also, i think the "it's not another course" reason is total bull, it IS another course, the course without a shortcut. And there are alot of maps that alot of people would like to see done without whatever massive shortcut they have. I think it's unfair that despite hundreds of people wanting to see a map like compound completed it's intended way, that it probably won't happen just because the views of 1 or 2 admin say "it's the way it's ment to be"
Now i know that admins word is law, but that's not what makes the KZ community great, it's the community. Us, the people that map, record, find SC's, new teq's (like the countjump) that keeps the KZ train rolling. So i think it should be up to all the people that watch the demos to be the ones that decide if a map like compound deserves a 2nd run.
Arokh, I agree, that's just what I remember faker said.
But I think that the way you are supposed to understand "course" is that it's another "road" way that was build in the map. Like 3ways. Here are the courses very clear, and they mapper(s) made them so the map would have more than one record. I am pretty damn sure that gigabl0ck was only supposed to have one "course" like most maps has.
My guess is just the admins are gonna say it's too much work to remove specific shortcuts, and then it will be discussed until forever how much it saves and if it should(en't) be allowed.
And they are gonna drown in checking demos. :P
EDIT: Yea Boolish that's actually right, I dunno why I spelled it "curse" all the time. :P It's now "course"..
[ Edited 10/05/07 - 10:33:24 ]
ALL MAPS ARE CURSED :D:D:D
First of all... Puppetz sry, but i'm sure you don't wanna say "curse" :D
The idea is very nice, I love Arokh's posts, they are always long, full of sense and written in good english *lol*^^
We know about the "space-problem", but i think if we take ~20 maps (most liked and most played) it wont "detonate" the space you have...It's the same as if 20 new maps got released :/
I really think it's worth talking about that, not just a stupid idea :)
Some maps really need that ;)
It's a great idea, but I think the SCs are what makes the map fun to climb and fun to watch. When a new map comes out, everyone would want to try a particular SC in the map and that's what makes it interesting and challenging. :P Sometimes a map is boring without SCs. If I know that a map can be done in a faster way, I wouldn't bother with the rest of the map. I honestly wouldn't care to watch an awesome demo when the map is done the normal way. Just my opinion.. but it's up to you guys!
[ Edited 10/05/07 - 01:06:08 ]
]It's a great idea, but I think the SCs are what makes the map fun to climb and fun to watch. When a new map comes out, everyone would want to try a particular SC in the map and that's what makes it interesting and challenging. :P Sometimes a map is boring without SCs. If I know that a map can be done in a faster way, I wouldn't bother with the rest of the map. I honestly wouldn't care to watch an awesome demo when the map is done the normal way. Just my opinion.. but it's up to you guys!
hm... that's true
Didn't really think about that :!
then you could stop crying and you could do the longjumper map that i cant remember.. e and h without the sc
either no sc's allowed, or then all sc's allowed
either on all maps this rule, or then on no maps this rule (not only "pick favourtive 20 maps for that new rule")
so imo all sc's on all maps ftw and no [-sc] ways :)
my short opinion :)
]It's a great idea, but I think the SCs are what makes the map fun to climb and fun to watch. When a new map comes out, everyone would want to try a particular SC in the map and that's what makes it interesting and challenging. :P Sometimes a map is boring without SCs. If I know that a map can be done in a faster way, I wouldn't bother with the rest of the map. I honestly wouldn't care to watch an awesome demo when the map is done the normal way. Just my opinion.. but it's up to you guys!
I somewhat agree... but too big shortcuts are boring if they destroy the whole map, like compound.
First of all... Puppetz sry, but i'm sure you don't wanna say "curse" :D
The idea is very nice, I love Arokh's posts, they are always long, full of sense and written in good english *lol*^^
We know about the "space-problem", but i think if we take ~20 maps (most liked and most played) it wont "detonate" the space you have...It's the same as if 20 new maps got released :/
I really think it's worth talking about that, not just a stupid idea :)
Some maps really need that ;)
Actually it would be less then like if 20 new maps got released, because it would be 20 demos on maps already in the download list. So it's even cheaper on server space because demo file sizes are far smaller then map file sizes.
:)
Please log in to post replies.