Something different

Started by skitz mapper
15/02/2008 01:36
Page 1 of 2
skitz mapper15/02/2008 01:36

I moved into a new apartment 3 weeks ago, and was without internet for various reasons up until now. I grabbed the mapping pack before we moved as I knew I wouldn't have much to do for a while. I was looking at one of my way old maps (2nd map I ever made), and for some reason, continued mapping it.

Basically I'm undecided if I should release this map or not, simply because its .. different. When I first started mapping I didn't really know what to do and always made really small, cramped indoors maps, with crazy lights that sort of looked cool at the time. Spacing things out didn't even cross my mind so I cramped a whole bunch of jumps into a really tiny space, I have since completely re-done the map, keeping intact as much as possible of the original map.

there are a few things causing me so much grief, the map has 3 main textures, 90% of the map is this one texture, the tops of the jumps are painted black and there are some other random textures I put in like fences. This means the map is VERY bland and unappealing. The light scheme I went for the map was weird, when I started mapping I fell in love with using a solid texture for a light source, and had all my rooms (except for the start, and last room) lit in bright red, green and blue. This looks cool at first, but doesn't work at all with jumping, the green is ok, the red isn't very good and the blue is terribly hard to see.

Because the jumps are so cramped in, the only way to make them hard is obstacles. In a normal jump map, obstacles are generally rare, and don't play a major part in the jumps, at least half of the jumps in my maps use some sort of blocking technique to make them harder, this ends up being aggravating, for everyone except for the elite jumpers.

So, I really don't know how everyone is going to react to this map. I'm not sure what rules apply to releasing custom maps, but It's possible that my map could even be rejected outright for being, annoying.

Another thing is, the map doesn't have a name but I currently use the generic skitz_block, instead of the large number of possibilities I have for naming it.

Some names include: skitz_RGB, skitz_persistence, skitz_insovietrussiamapbeatsyou(I'm not sure, but they would probably have to make a maximum character limit rule for this one), skitz_claustrophobia, skitz_ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh, skitz_donotwant. The key feature with all those names is that they are mostly negative.

When I was mapping, I always loved jumping my map, and I eventually got annoyed with it, so maybe it's just me. Also, the map is probably rated at average-extreme, extreme because some of the jumps I haven't seen in other maps before that I can remember. I suppose, you really do have to play the map to see what I'm talking about.

So, if you've read this far you probably wanna see something of the map, right? Well, I've taken some screenshots:

http://img247.imageshack.us/img247/5099/76150002jc2.jpg
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/765/65967475ra4.jpg
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/9899/32089951mz5.jpg
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/7036/74186977vj9.jpg
http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/8518/36523598ai7.jpg
http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/2859/95035610kl8.jpg
http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/5488/85363850in2.jpg


So depending on the responses I get to this thread, I may release the map to someone or two people to be beta tested, or just release the bsp here for anyone to critique.

p.s. hi

clair mapper15/02/2008 01:52(edited 15/02/2008 01:52)

i think it looks clean, but the jumps are pretty small and the rooms are empty. it also reminds me of urbanjump :)

how old school is it? :D

skitz mapper15/02/2008 02:11(edited 15/02/2008 02:11)

3 years~ish, probably around the start of this website, maybe?

But it's not really old skool, more, old and suck.

soul v2.0 mapper15/02/2008 03:00

eh you might wanna check your spelling of originally. other than that the map looks pretty retro!

s0liD mapper15/02/2008 07:08

Oh skitz .. dunno if you still remember me im solid from clintmo's site .. Well about this map it doesnt look good.. The textures are crappy dunno about the jumps but i hate little jumps = kzfr jumps :E.. Althought the sign at the end looks great

dEMolite mapper15/02/2008 10:46

the sign at the end is good but the rest like s0liD said.

lol i thought that only germans think like littlejumps = kzfr jumps :D

DaMp mapper15/02/2008 13:50

little jumps = kzfr jumps word. and word to solid it doesn't looks good at all but the sign is great :)

bakeLit15/02/2008 15:21

Agree with DaMp and s0liD and dEMo :D This map is getting a really boring from the screens what I see.

skitz mapper15/02/2008 15:22(edited 15/02/2008 15:23)

Which is what I thought, I generally like my maps to have a sexy look, but keeping the original style of the map prevented me from doing anything different. If I wanted to make it look nice, I'm looking at a complete map overhaul. I've already spent over 100hours doing this map.

p.s. I definatley remember you solid, your latest maps are awesome btw

puppetz mapper15/02/2008 15:28

Looks cool, and guys, learn to deal with small jumps! I'd love to play it. :D

DaMp mapper15/02/2008 15:36

i spent a lot of my freetime on my first second and third map especialy on my third map and i know how it is to map the whole time and then this map looks bad and stuff i like my third map but i think it's good that it isn't a kzmap now because my maps are better now and the represent me for sure ... and i like to get faster and faster with every map...

P.V.A.B.-jello15/02/2008 15:46

Btw, it's "originally" not "origonally"

skitz mapper16/02/2008 10:07

Ok well, you can't really get a good idea of the map from those screen shots, so I'm just going to give you guys a preview. Keeping in mind none of the jumps have even been finalized and the map is still very in the works.

note: I'm going to replace the red-block-room with the 210 jump. I hate it just cant think of anything good to replace it with.

skitz_block (temporary name)

You decide if this map could become releasable.

Pf0llz0r mapper16/02/2008 12:02

Ehm Im gonna be honest with u...

*The textures dont look good

*U have lightbugs on all ur jumps unless u used black texture ontop of them

*Small jumps, sure some people like them but the majority dont

*The look of it is really square and boring

*It wont get accepted if its sent in now, u need to remake alot

There u have some thoughts from me about the map

DaMp mapper16/02/2008 13:08

word pfollz

skitz mapper16/02/2008 13:12(edited 16/02/2008 13:16)

If you read what I said in the original post, All those points are either answered, or already stated, also I want you to be honest with me, its the point of this thread. Yes, the textures look horrible because thats what I chose 3 years ago, the lighting is bad because its done with -fast, and the black texture is applied. I agree with small jumps being annoying/not overly entertaining, the look is square and boring because I can't really do much else with a small space and thats how I did it when i made the map originally. As I said earlier, the map is still only in beta, and would need to be reworked a lot to get to a release able state.

I realize now that I would have to work on the visual look of the map, however I am 95% sure there wouldn't be many changes apart from textures and lighting because there isn't any space. What I'm trying to find out is if the jumps cut it, the look of the map can be changed (within limits), but can the map become something releasable, keeping in mind what I've said?

Igge16/02/2008 17:07

hmm i definetly agree with pfollzor that the map looks like a square and boring. For me, nothing is happening in the rooms because the only content is small blocks. Plus if you make the map extreme i don't think many people will feel happy to play it.

Another thing i miss on the map is a theme. It looks like if someone has learnt how to use hammer. You take textures from halflife.wad. 1 which will be used for walls and 1 for the ground, ceiling and maybe overlay for the jumps. When the map is completed it has no theme at all. I want to see where the map is suited only by looking at it and i couldnt see that on your map.

But the sign at the end is 1 of the best ive seen.
Keep the sign and make a new map. Thats my thoughts about it. It's mainly negative but there is no offense in it at all.

elITe^16/02/2008 17:17

Nice to see you back skitz. I'll try this map later. :)

perd0 mapper16/02/2008 17:56

looks ugly :D

skitz mapper16/02/2008 22:39

I don't think many people read my first post. This map was the second map I ever made in hammer. It was made 3 years ago, before I knew how to do, virtually anything. All I did on the map was touch-ups and fixing bugs and stuff like the finish-start textures.

The reason I kept it like this was, if I didn't the map wouldn't work any other way without completely re-building it. I'm not going to re-build it when I could work on some of the other maps I've started and not completed.

Thanks for your replies, I have a few questions though:
How long did it take you to finish?
How easy was it for you?
Which jumps, if any, did you like the most?

Page 1 of 2

Please log in to post replies.