Your views on Xtreme-Jumps

Started by Juhmp
11/04/2008 18:59
Page 1 of 2
Juhmp11/04/2008 18:59

IF YOU SPAM/POST STUPID REPLIES, YOU WILL BE BANNED AT ADMINS DISCRETION.

Certainly, Xtreme-Jumps is not what it used to be when I first joined about 2 and a half years ago. It is the views of me and other admins that Xtreme-Jumps has lost a level of maturity that it once had. This thread is dedicated to the "old schoolers" who have watched Xtreme-Jumps "grow" and develop since its creation.

Everyone that has seen Xtreme-Jumps grow, please write a short reply on your views of Xtreme-Jumps now and what you feel should be changed/done in order to continue being a leading online Gaming Community.

Supa11/04/2008 19:07(edited 11/04/2008 19:08)

1) Lots of random comments, random forums topics, random rants, random immaturity.

2) Lots of random maps. (I voted for 2-3 VERY GOOD new maps per month ). Why do we want more and more of the same maps! Yes its true the HL ENGINE is FREAKN OLD.. but they can still be unique.

3) Site seems professional.. but servers are empty alot of the time...cups are boring now... hasn't been really any reviews or interviews lately...

4) Longjumps suck... just post the top1 of each category so people think that they will never beat it and just give up.

5) i'm tired can't think of anything else

Judah11/04/2008 19:14

I haven't been around for years, but I still have seen changes since Bibo's 255. Not blaiming this on Bibo of course, but people focused on longjumping more. I think longjumping is a big part of kz, but I also think "it" should take a big fault of what has happend to XJ imo. If you look in the submit longjump thread, the first comment people have is when they submit a longjump demo. Many people just make users to submit ther longjumpdemos, which is a bad thing. They don't join irc, they're not "active" on forum and such.

I don't hope XJ will close, since it sounds a bit like that. You guys are doing a awesome job :).

peerat11/04/2008 19:14

Well I guess that's just the normal way a community goes when it grows (nice rhyme>_>). I've been here since XJ started and yes XJ lost maturity but thats normal. Coz at that time barely 1000 members were registred and take a look at it now, more than 50000 members, Thats a big difference and you can't expect everyone beein' as mature as they supposed to be. More and more members are under the age of 16 (I'm not sayin' that everyone under 16 is thick or immature but more and more of them behave like that) so u can't expect them to be mental as "far" as you are.

My 2 cent =)

fizzL11/04/2008 19:18

Ok, I'm not as long as you are on xj but i have my opinion too.

first of all , I'm sick of those lj discussions and i think, what supa says is a good way to solve this problem in a good way.
I often got the feeling that some of xjusers a VERY young and the're behaviour is just awful ( i don't wanna say : yeah i'm over 18 so i'm an adult , but a little bit of good behaviour must be.
Also i would like to critizise the admins ( not everyone and so on ) often i got the feeling, that most of you don't have fun to do something in kz and thats definately ok , BUT there are others whos very interested and you could show them what to do as an admin if you would like to. please don't get it wrong, its not meant to be offensive or something!!!

So as i joined xj it was great for me and the lj thingy was'nt that hyped but ow it's getting a little bit boring cause it's everyday the same in forum : uberstrafe here , 255 stats !!! and so on, you know what i mean ;)

so i hope you admins come to an conclusion and find a good way to bring back xj to " the good old days" that you know ;)

CothA11/04/2008 19:19

ok lets go 1st of all im not oldschooler but i wanna tell my opinion.I joined in KZ before 1 and a half year ago.And i saw Xtreme-jumps when T3d, kimo, a0ke, tarGet-, Himuraken etc..Now more good jumpers stop jumping and we cant see their amazing times.Only brian, zhady and ndR(if he jumps) are good oldschoolers and can make insane records (like this 1 on kz_xj_mountez).

2nd more guys start longjumping all time and they forgot for REAL KZ.Example:1st question of every"jumper" is whats your LJ record?. -.-

my Suggest is remove the LJ records only demos of WR's LJ/CJ/bhoplj/hj

..thats all for me..

dEMolite mapper11/04/2008 19:26

1) in the past mapreleases was a surprise for a mapper because he didnt know if it got accepted.
(i hope that the mapreleases will be like that)

2) In the past the maprelease was in the end of every months. That was even better then now. Because these maps where good and the maprelease wasn't even big. (around 2-6maps and they made fun to jump)

3) Like supa said the site is professional but now it is like the most of the users(childish). Nothing new only mapreleases and demoreleases. There should be more activity with reviews or interviews.

4) On the publicserver the ljstats plugin should be deactivated. It is just boring if you join a server and you want to jump it, but you see that most of the jumpers are making at the start ljs only for the stats.
The biggest problem would be like this: You are jumping the map and the vote comes. The jumpers which wants to finish it will vote extend but the jumpers which are at start and making lj's for the stats will vote for another map. And this is quite unfair.

5) supa is right LJ's sucks because 95% of the users cares now and they think if they have a ljrecord on XJ they are pros.
(the ljsection should be changed with only WR Longjumps like which has done the units first. Like faker 245, oddysseus 246 and so on)

6) The comments or even the forum posts with GJ or even similier ones should be deleted or the users should be warned. In the past was it better because most of the users wrote a complete sentence.

7) forum: Accepted maps & Denied maps should be removed look on point 1).

8) XJ should be more creativity with the site like climbers-germany does with some custom cms scripts like a LJrecords page or a bash with kreedz quotes.

9) more to come soon.

trb11/04/2008 19:41(edited 11/04/2008 19:43)

i nearly totally agree with dEMolite.

except point 5.
i would prefer only ACTUAL wr in lj, cj, hj, bhop.

but rest of demolite's points I agree 100%.

maybe it would be also nice

9. something like the forum post "kz history" as an official website included link. that "kz history" or "kz wiki" whatever would be something which is official integrated in site.
there can be also the "first 240, first 241" and so on for example.

and

10. the cups.
i recognize some years ago, there was all eveneing many action due cups.
actually, there are some days nearly 0 cups, and then one day 10 cups within 3 hours, then again some days nearly 0 cups.

SchlumPF11/04/2008 19:48

#1 - longjumps
longjump thread should be minimized to top5 of each category whith all avaible stats (also things like distance to/from edge at jump/landing). also create a new thread in the forum so all those lj threads do not spam the forum.

#2 - mapcheck
should get more time for testing so maybe 1 of 50 maps needs to be updated after maprealse. might help to save map quality on a high level.

#3 - server
need to get more popular.

#4 - users
need to get more active and smarter.

#5 - spam
instant perm ban for ppl like zhady who post shit because they want to get a warning. thats just childish.

#6 - features
get some new features for example some comment in a .mp3 file for a nice demo. comment would be made by some famous jumper and will start with some countdown so you can start the demo and hear comments on various jumps or other things.

#7 - forums
get mdoerators for the different subforums who could create a faq with questins etc to provide about 10x the same thread

#8 - search
dont know how but teach ppl to use the search function -.-

#9 - news
stop from posting weekly-demos-maps-demos-demos-weekly... maybe set a date for events for ex twice per month demo release + once map release. also start posting interviews and other stuff again.

hope i did not forget something ^^ maybe this does help you

knoxville11/04/2008 19:52

i want to add something to demolite's point 4.

remove kz_longjump from the server! its just to make ur epeen look better like "wow i made 250 and u cant do 240 rofllol".

:'(

SchlumPF11/04/2008 19:55

totally agree even if kz_lj is the only map which does flood the xj server with palyers -.-
nowaday most ppl climb on listenserver and longjump on inet server but it should be the other way

Mr.Jumper11/04/2008 20:07

I am not a classic oldschooler... but from time to time I am starting to feel myself like an oldschool player, because, when i switch through the players list on the right side, roughly every user is number 40.000+...
I ve started 2years ago.

I can remember, when I started here at XJ the whole atmosphere was complety different, than it is nowadays. I can remember a community, where there havent been unamtured people, or a lot of very annoying people... everybody was climbing and bhopping, but not much ljing... we just had a lot of fun!! In my view everything has changed with Count, cuz of his amazing new technic...everybody wanted to do 250easily with a cj... after this, lj grew up, which is regarded to the ljstats plugin and the sounds, which give you a motiviation to hear godlike 24/7... ofc the ljplugin is nice and very useful, but a lot of players are becoming kinda adicted from the /lj15 and stats and ranking and sounds...

Another fact is, that those World-Records on XJ are nearly perfect... its very very hard to beat one, you have to achieve the following characteristics: no real life, no friends and no school or work... 2years ago, every WR could be improved with some training, so there was a lot of motivation and you ve had a perpective to become better, because the WR isnt far away. Now... its nearly impossible for normal players... well, there are some players like zhady, or brian, who can do WRs without having no real live...but they are an execption.

Another fact is, why XJ is getting boring for me is, that all my legends has stopped playing kz. Old famous stars like tarGet, t3d, cxgteams and some others... but you cant change it, they wont come back.

In my view YOU should be stricter with all those retarded unmatured sucking users! I would perm ban immediatly without big warnings... maybe some users are starting to incorporating their attitude... the broken image of XJ could be fixed... but this would take a long period of time.

Another point is, that in my view some admins are getting sick of doing this job on XJ... they are unmotivated and bored... they do their job without any dedication... 2years ago, they ve been friendlier, funnier, and you ve felt, that they love doing their job and to impress the community with new releases or any new stuff. For example the community-block projekt... it is a very very big flop! same as kz_lj2 and the mapping check team! Nearly everybody has forgotten the communityblock, which is half a year old... kz_lj2 is 2-3months old... and the last maprelease was 2months ago... I think you should change out some admins and ban a lot of users... otherwhise, XJ will be stucked!! Climbing doesnt become more popular and you can shutt down this site, because for me, it doesnt have any attractive informations anymore... its becomming a platform for little kiddies

STOP THAT! ACT NOW!

Judah11/04/2008 20:24

Mr.Jumper, I really like your point of view. But, I don't think it's fair saying "becomming a platform for little kiddies". There is nothing wrong being a kid. You have been a kid as well as I "am a kid". There should be space for all ages, and all types. As long as they have a proper behaviour. But as I said, I like your post and your point of view :).

Mr.Jumper11/04/2008 20:35

maybe I ve choosen a wrong expression, Judah. Could be, that you missunderstand my expression "platform for little kiddies", which i ve mentioned in my last comment. With kiddies I mean all those unmatured retarted users and not people, who are under the age of 16!! This is very important to understand my point of view

Judah11/04/2008 20:41

I do understand, but since I am "only" 15, I speak for all us "kids". The word kid imo, shouldn't be used for immaturity or retards, since no one can decide how old they wanna be if you understand :).

SchlumPF11/04/2008 21:10

judah acting chilidsh and being a kid i sth different. a few weeks ago i was 15 too but i think i can say ive never been a kiddie in this community.

admins as u can see nearly everone posted in this thread that there are to much stupid ppl so nobody in the community will askw hy if you ban any stuopid person in this community since you have a reason

omilo11/04/2008 21:22(edited 11/04/2008 21:24)

I used to be pretty active in the forums here, but now when I check out a thread I see to many useless posts and i just wont bother posting anything. It's waaaaay way to much flaming between certain people.
Just a few to many immature people discussing or arguing about useless stuff that doesn't even matter. People forgot that KZ and CS is a game and your supposed to have fun... :E
But this is the case on all big gameing communitys with forums. Sad but true...
The rest of XJ has developed pretty good, I just have a problem with the forums, and especially some peoples childish posts.

faker mapper11/04/2008 21:53(edited 11/04/2008 22:12)

Okay, I'll use this opportunity to express my opinion about the current situation.

1. For us, the ADMINS, this site is a _HOBBY_. We run this site in our SPARE time and if unpredictable things are happening, our online/XJ projects get delayed. You guys have to accept that. None of us get payed, we all do it because we LOVE to do it and because we LOVE to make you happy.

This brings us to point 2.

2. The attitude of the community... The mood in the community has changed dramatically. Thank god the "xAxAxA I R cool." comments are almost gone after the rules were made a lot of tougher. But... Nowadays the people (im not talking about EVERYONE, im just talking about the general drift) don't show any respect towards the admins... They want everything to be PERFECT, they don't want to WAIT and they want it ACCORDING TO THEIR PREFERENCES. They do question almost every single DECISONS made by one of the admins... Their attitude is DEMANDING and BRAZEN.

Apparently 90% of the users think they could be a better admin...

A few examples:

- Why did xx get a warning? Why didn't yyyy get a warning???

faker I bet if someone else said how many demos were uploaded you have given warnings out right away. Nothing against scary or dujes, but its kinda stupid.



Guess what, we're using our brain before we hand out warnings... Not everyone gets a warning for his first doublepost... It depends on the context. Warnings are handed out at admins discretion. And don't be paranoid... nobody is "untouchable". sbz was permbanned after various offenses... zhady was banned for 1 week cause of spamming etc

- MAPS? WHERE IS THE MAP RELEASE? YOU GUYS HAVE SO MUCH TIME TO CHECK THE MAPS WHY NO RELEASE???????

- WHY DIDN'T YOU SEE THAT BUG? BLAH... NEWBS!!!!

U had so much time to check the maps... Why is there a map containing such an obvious bug?!



Check my answer some lines below

Once a maprelease is done, the discussion goes on.... Why did this map get kz_???? And why didn't get xxx get the kz_ tag??? Why didn't you find this bug???

I guess you might imagine this is not a very pleasant outcome for us, the admins, because we try to do our BEST to make you guys happy.
Of course there are mistakes, but we try to avoid them as good as we can...

Little example: kz_conveyer and the little bug on the timer. I played the map 3 times before I made my vote for the kz_ tag. I checked for texture bugs, bugged doors etc.... I didn't find any bug. Of course I didn't check the timer, because the timer used to be the SAME in every single map. Also I didn't play the map WITH the timer because I wasn't going to record the map, I was testing the quality of the map... So how should I notice that the number "1" was missing inside the timer (7,8,9,0,2)? I guess most of the people that recorded the map before it got updated didn't notice it as well :>

Whatever, im starting to get off-topic.

What I tryed to say is...

THIS IS OUR SITE and these are OUR RULES. Accept our decisions! Of course we care about your opinion and ask for it when it comes to important decisions... What I'm trying to say is... don't be bitchy about every single decisions made. We try to be AS FAIR AS possible for EVERYONE. The mappers (want to get their maps released) and the jumpers (want to get QUALITY maps).

3. Technical problems.

Believe me, it's not that easy to realise a fantastic idea. Everyone can have fantastic and new ideas, but it's a lot of harder to make them come true.

A lot of people join the staff with uber nice ideas but lag of motivation to make them come true, and leave some time later...

Examples:

- WORLD CUP II.... failed due to motivation and RL problems of Fire.

- HTLV Matches aka 1on1's amongst the pro's. Failed because it was too hard to coordinate... Also the HTLV Server/Client system wasn't made for these AMX plugins and kz_ maps... lots of crashes etc.

- More guides.... Most of the writes gave up after their first article... We're still searching for a Countjump guide and a good movie.

It's sad... but what... are you going to blame XJ for giving it a try?

However...

- kz_xj_communityblock is still alive. The map will be finished and released in the future. It's a very unique project and we're experiencing the limits of the HL1 engine, but our mappers will try to finish it as good as possible :)

- kz_lj2 is still alive. The public votes are going to be started soon :)

- The votes. We asked for your opinion about the "longjump addiction" and we appreciate your answers. There will be changes in the structure for sure, just give us time to actually MAKE them happen.

4. The mapreleases

Even tho I am a part of the Mapcheck Team and I have a chance to change the result of the accepted and denied maps, I'm not 100% happy with the outcome. Some of the admins (no offense) seem to be too tolerant about "average" maps imo. Thats why I started another poll, to see wheter the majority of the community would like to see stricter guidelines and LESS average maps in the future. I do for sure.

If there are only 1-2 new maps a month everbody would be REALLY curious to see and play them. The record would be hard-fought for and people would actually REMEMBER some of the new maps instead of just forget about them some weeks later.

5. New Ideas/Features to come

Indeed we have a lot of stuff planned for the future. But it's kinda hard to realise stuff, if you don't have a skilled and active PHP/SQL coder around. OddYsseus, who did a great job in the past, isn't active anymore... This means he helps to keep the servers running, but he's not involved in new things to come... And isn't really helping... Bentski tryed to help us for a while but he isn't around these days/weeks anylonger...

Trying to solve this problem but it's not easy I guess...

6. Hf and good luck reading my posts..

This are just some random thoughts I had in my mind... I might add some other stuff later.

Sorry if you find it hard to read, im not going to fix my grammar or trying to fix the mistakes... Took me long enough to write this :)

cheers

loopah11/04/2008 22:21(edited 11/04/2008 22:23)

Well, I haven't been around since the very start, but ive been active here for 2 years at least ( not as a member, 1st i just hung around a a guest)

Well, I've seen it go from very mature/intressting and a actually FUNNY site, now, all those newcommers come around and say things they don't really know abaout.

To much inmature spamms in teh chatbox!

And people keep preassuring the admin, not RIGHT!
It takes time 2 check everything and everyone, as faker said, they are doing this in their spare time. People should have some patience and respect for the Webbsite-admins.

And the discussion abaout LJ's, lets just wait and see...

Sure, we could make a impact of what LJ's will become, but we discuss the LJ situation in a really REALLY irellevant way, post 1 and only 1 of your opinions and it's overwith and the time will show...

And the Forum is actually beeing abused imo, to many useless threads, many of the same kind.

I know the admins to the best they can, and they are doing a GREAT job here, so lets keep it that way, let the admins decise whats happening and whats not.

___________________________________________

And the maprealease/demorealease

I think it's good as it is.. dont set a date.. what if 1 week we got 20 demos and the other 2? When it gets enough demos, realease them =) same with maps.

I nelive the XJ crew is doing a great job!

Lets just hope that alot of the members in here matures and comes to realise this.

Cheers

[ EDIT: my grammar sucks atm, just wanted to express myself, wasn't really thinking.. so take it or leave it, I wont correct it :P ]

st0ka11/04/2008 22:28(edited 12/04/2008 01:56)

Forums: well i used to be quite active in the forums esp when there was a nice bhop trick ]:) but all the shit about ljs,new/old jumps and personal insults was pissing me off. tbh I loved the discussion for jumps and stuff but now when i see the second post in this thread to begin with "new/old" and then the well-known story about how stupid is saying "new/old" etc starts... i loved trickjumping and i loved showing what i can do but when i see thread like this i just hit "back" in my browser :/
ofc forums are tough stuff do deal with but they used to be a lot nicer even before 8-9 months. I think it all began when those lj stats was released and it's not Count's fault about finding the count jump. I even held the cj record in my country for some time :] though I hate kz_longjumps :D. Imo u should totally remove the lj stats in the servers and leave only the records in the different sections and the people who have done a particular length first.

Servers: it's all about ljing because of the lj stats again => remove them :/ and instead of this godlike sounds that blow your head up when someones does 250+ make a plugin that plays this sounds when someone pwns a map in a decent time ]:)

Something that you're forgetting... is that when all the new jumpers see this 50 k + community they think that admins should do their works as if they're hired and payed some money... when a community grows that big that's inevitable and I don't talk about xj it's a general/"global" phenomenon.

Maps: i totally agree with faker about the low-quality maps and I'm also not that satisfied with the jumps in the new maps :[ most of them are really boring... and tbh I love jumping some maps without KZ tag because I have much fun on them considering the jumps not the outlook.

Just some stuff: let people know about things like the movie that faker mentioned. Do some posts and lock them or something like this so that whoever is interested in helping or supporting the project can message an admin and therefore you can make a private competitions or something cuz everything nowadays is up to the relationship between the users... cuz I for example didn't know about this problems with the cj guide and I'm definitely not the only one that's able to help ^_-

I guess that's all for now

P.S. I'm not an oldschool jumper but I've been around long enough (i think)

cheers :)

Page 1 of 2

Please log in to post replies.