Your views on Xtreme-Jumps

Started by Juhmp
11/04/2008 18:59
Page 2 of 2
Dujes11/04/2008 22:37(edited 11/04/2008 22:39)

I've been jumping and member of XJ more than 2,5 years and it was different. Well, first of all, I have to agree with Mr.Jumper. +2 years ago, here ppl was just climbing and bhopping and so on.. not longjumping very much.. So nowadays I think there's too much that LJ shit, if there's kz_lj in XJ server, it's 16/16. I don't even get the point of kz_lj in public server, if u wanna jump some LJs just do it in ur own server.

And there wasn't that damn LJ section full of LJ demos. IMO that's the biggest minus in XJ nowadays. LJ shit.

Server must come more popular too, even when there's not KZ_LONGJUMPS. Everybody's spamming in chatbox "where's kz_ljs2" I don't understand what's so important @ new lj map. There's same ljs than in the old one and so on. Maybe different textures? I don't get it.

I don't blame admins for anything, ofc not, they're doing great work and they're active. But that what I said, is the biggest thing IMO.

Mr.Plow11/04/2008 23:55

Dujes is right, im also a member since 2.5 years and in my opinion what really started to get annoying (good spelling?) was everything related to longjumping. I can remember how exiting it was when t3d jumped 252 but the greatest mistake came with the opening of the lj thread. I don't blame XJ because in that time it was a really cool idea to compare with other people but seriously, it went out of control.

This is the reason of hundreds of threads related to longjumping making the same questions over and over again, which at that point is when I lost interest on the forums.

After that came the innmature lj stats spamming that could be read all over the place and when the adimns started warning and banning, more and more people started complaining.

Back when kimo & Co were around I can hardly remember warnings and bannings, there was respect. Of course 3000 members can't be compared 50.000.

Oh well... times change.

sjR12/04/2008 00:44

faker.. Word and believe it or not.. there are some of us who respect what you guys do, and maybe i am not well known in this community but i believe thats because i dont sit at my desk and moan at admins all day long (and because i dont have wr's haha :P). The pure reason i come on XJ in the first place is because its a great idea to have a community which has blossomed like this one... and tbh,, where would every1 be without it regarding kz ? .

wRath` mapper12/04/2008 00:54

I have played CS since a little before the change from 1.5 to 1.6, and gone through all of the different cs "mods" or what to call it. Surf, hns, wc3, normal, kz etc.

I think that you should let the people that wants to longjump do it, and those who doesn't want to lj, do what they want. I'm no LJ-fan myself, but I often do some ljs before/after cups, and such. What bothers me the most about LJ is the god damn kz_longjumps-map, I think it has no place on the KZ-servers, so annoying! Because often when I want to play KZ and try to get a decent time on some maps, some other guys Rock the vote, and gets the map changed to kz_lj, and this happens OFTEN.
I don't know about the stats, it doesn't bother me at all. I think it's alright to get to know your jumping distance etc.

As for the forums and stuff: I guess I haven't been around long enough to see the changes, I registered 5 months ago or something. But I do believe more trickjumps were posted before, now there's a bunch of LJ-related threads everywhere.. So please make an own section for the LJs.

XJ server: I don't play there that often anymore, usually kz_bye_erarock, because it's the startup map, and the server seems to crash really often. And most of the top15's are pwned by pros, so I stick to the newer communities (kz-sca, kz-friends) where I can easily get in the top15, and play against people at my level.

The LJ-top-threads: I don't care at all what you'll do with this, because I will probably never post a demo in that thread, it just doesn't interest me.

Admins: There are some short-tempered and impulsive admins here, that I've witnessed (no offense). I had a incident where I felt unfairly treated and got banned for a long time, but luckily faker helped me out.

And the maps/demo release-part I agree 100% with loopah, release when you have the maps and demos.
Will be boring if you let's say, get a release the 10th of every month, it would just have been boring to wait for that date.

Can't come up with more atm.
Probably answer to this thread another time too ^^

lostsoul12/04/2008 13:06(edited 12/04/2008 13:10)

OK, i am quite a "silent" person and mostly come to this site to check the world record demos and shortcuts on maps, but i do read the forum and shoutbox on a regular basis. Most of the stuff that bothers me has been said before. here is what i can agree with:



supa (and others) about LONGJUMPS:
I usually play on other public KZ servers and not on the XJ one. Why? Well, i tried to but i was hearing "godlike", "impressive" all the time. The chat was spammed with these stupid and annoying messages about how far someone jumped. It way REALLY annoying. So, as a non-pro, slightly-above-newbie jumper i would totally agree with dEMolites suggestion to remove the LJ-plugin from the server (or at least silence its output, both the sounds and chatmessages).

ALSO, i can remember having seen KZ plugins that had more than one top15 (1 for people with 0 cp, 1 for those with 1-10, and 1 for those with more than 11 cp). I don't know if that is too bugged or so, but it would definitly honour the non-pros too!



dEMolite about 1-word comments under every demo release. I'm always wondering what makes all these people spam "GJ xy", "well done". If you don't have anything to say then shut up already please! Same with the "OMIGAWD XJ pwned the cheater!" ... We get it, someone tried to cheat and failed ... that's the information we got from the article already ...

That leads me to the various suggestions about how to deal with these people. I would agree with SchlumPF* that there has to be some harder punishment for such obvious laming, i wouldn't go as far as to say "permban at first offense". Maybe something like 1 week ban for mindless spamming (this does NOT include a doublepost and similar stuff). After that another 2 week or 1 month ban at second offense and permban at the third offense.



Then there is the problem as the admins perceive the community as some ungrateful, all-knowing wisenheimers, who question every admin action (like faker said). Maybe people wouldn't be as bitchy if they felt more involved? If they had more rights to influence this community (and it is a community after all!)?

Also about "Why did xx get a warning? Why didn't yyyy get a warning???", that's actually none of their business. I would give some "warning" (read first 1 week ban) to those people too (if they keep asking that stuff over and over again), same for those who just repeat that stuff after someone else asked it before (refering to the shoutbox).



TROUbl3m4k3Rs kz-history/wiki, audiocomments for demos, guides with audiocomment to various jumping techniques:

Personally i think that this is an AWESOME idea! First of all it would involve the community more. Second, a well done wiki is far better than the mess of a forum! Also, demos with the "see-what-keys-the-player-presses" plugin (dunno the name) and maybe helpful ingamevoice (or movies) about different jumpstyles would maybe stop the endless questions like "how do i strafejump????" "tell me what an edgebug is NOW!!!!1!" etc

Also, it would be really nice if people could post ideas about mapping, what themes they would like, what fun jump elements they'd love to have in a map etc, without being told: "nah, that sucks", "thats not KZ enough" etc


I had the idea of public mapvotes, then i had a look into the forum and found someone else (Dalei) already posted that (very well done, really good ideas in this thread http://xtreme-jumps.eu/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?91866 )

Maybe a slightly adapted version: first the mapchecking admins preview the maps and sort out the biggest flaws/bugs/etc and after that there is a 2 week or so public testing phase where everyone can download and play the map and report any errors that he encountered and tell ppl about his opinion (comments visible to all, but the name of the commenter visible to admins only?)

That's all for now


[EDIT] And i am quite sure that the number of registered members would considerably decline after all "members" that didn't log in in a certain period of time (say 3 to 6 months) were deleted

SilverNinja mapper12/04/2008 13:29

As far as maps go, I agree with st0ka; the KZ tag seems to have lost a lot of its value.. in the recent map releases, the custom maps are often times more fun to play than the KZ maps. kz_kzsca_fjellheimen, for example, is a nice looking map, but it has the same jump style that I've seen in maps time and time again, there's nothing new or creative about it. XJ needs to put more emphasis on the creativity of the jumps, not just the appearance of the map.

[blockquote]wrote ...
If there are only 1-2 new maps a month everbody would be REALLY curious to see and play them. The record would be hard-fought for and people would actually REMEMBER some of the new maps instead of just forget about them some weeks later.[/blockquote]
It's kind of late to implement such a drastic change in the map checking process.. seeing as there are already hundreds of KZ maps, many of which wouldn't be accepted by today's standards. The "good" KZ maps are just going to get mixed in with the countless others, so I don't see how they would be remembered. The only way I can see it working would be to introduce a new tag, (XJ_ tag for example) and only let the jaw dropping maps get the XJ tag.

As jumpers get better, the need for more challenging maps arises, but it feels that as the pro jumpers get better and better, the general population is getting worse and worse, since many new jumpers get the impression that if they improve their LJStats, they will become better jumpers, which may be true to a certain extent, but they don't appreciate the balance between LJs and the other techniques needed to be good jumpers.

flaip12/04/2008 15:02(edited 26/04/2009 22:26)

-

peak12/04/2008 15:45

Okay first of all, i am "pro" longjumper and im more sad than happy about it. I havent been here in XJ so long only for about 5 months? and i havent seen everything that you oldschoolers have.

What brought longjumping so popular?
LJ stats was one of the main reasons. "ok"

But where are every jumpers aiming to? TO GET their names to a net page. I blame the lj record section -.-

IF it was easier to get your name known in climbing it would bring motivation to CLIMB maps. example when i go play a kz map on a server where is /top15 list it gives more motivation to climb a map fast and get your Name to the list^^

sry for NOT clear text but i think u get my point here gg.

chrizZo12/04/2008 17:24

First of all I want to say: I realized that the people who are talking here about all the kids who are only flaming or spamming doin it themselfes. Its allways this oldschool/newschool adult/kid things that makes me wanna cry. the "kids" have fun playing kz/lj and doesnt even flame themselfes, all they do is saying things like "gj" etc. and now you guys come and its fucking pissin me off , that youre saying things like " the whole new school are little kids that only wants to longjump" blablablabla. youre acting in the same childish way and thats something you guys should realize too. and youre talking about the bad new school that only longjumps but XJ hyped Longjumps and XJ made them to this longjump geeks. I mean youre talking about that longjumping sucks and next week there will be a kz_lj2 ? wheres the big point now. deMolite you even posted a kz_lj2 so you are an ACTIV LJ HYPER, or am I wrong ? I dont see the point why guys hate it, that this community gets famous and a lot of more members because thats what you guys wanted or not ? you guys should really accept the newschool because its looking like a big fight between the new/oldschool but all we wanna do is jumping for fun or why we are here? Its just like in the esl this account trash. if youre a 2007 account than YOU MUST BE A FAGGOT. I feel like this if people in xj are saying : "new schoolers are just flamespammer kids" and thats sooo childish really...

And now I want to say that I really respect the admins at xj they`re doing a really nice job, go on like this.
Youre doing this for fun but youre proffessional like commercial sites, really nice ! Even if it looks like this now, im not a longjump fan and I would say minimize the longjump section how hard you can.
btw a lot of people are starting kreedzing because of longjumping, think about this.
and really guys. the "kids" just wanna have fun and spamming a bit because it makes fun, just dont read it, who cares anyways.
and what I wanted to say is: STOP that pro challenges with money. Money brings cheaters. we will end up in a cheater community if you begin with money.

Judah12/04/2008 21:17

Words of wisdom chrizZo :). The Pro challelanges are stopped btw :).

SchlumPF12/04/2008 23:41

new idea to keep the community alive: try to get more target groups. this emans you could maybe add a surf/slide records section since many xj members enjoy those :) but some may also think that this idea sucks cause xj is a climbing related community :/ but just an idea :)

Fire13/04/2008 07:35(edited 13/04/2008 07:41)

Where to begin...

The first thing that many people can say is that a lot of people have come and gone to XJ. We've seen great demo recorders, amazing cup admins, amazing normal admins and amazing writers and reviewers. Its been a while now since the great loss of kimo, fikon and altstich and many of the other original jumpers. Many of whom created the styles we use today and were the forefathers of this great community and mod. As the years go on many new faces and scenes have popped around the scene many trying to create amazing records and advance their skills. Others like scary, myself and many head admins now are solely here or formerly here to over see the bettering of this community.

The main issue with these specific group of people is that many of their friends have now either disappeared or no longer participate in the KZ communities. For instance, my best buddy ndR's disappearance back into his normal life caused me to no longer wish to participate in the community. I think XJ's community has become so involved in its self that when good people leave, other good people leave, leaving way for immature jumpers to come on to the scene.

Another reason why XJ has seemingly become less popular, is the fact that long jumping has consumed the community. Every time I enter a KZ server I am bound to see someone ask about Long jumps... "Is my pre good? My max speed? My sync?". For sometime now I have hated KZ for this. People just don't get it anymore. Long Jumping is a technique. Not a trait or a skill. Long Jumping is the art of making the next jump on that map you couldn't beat before. Its all good and fun to be the first person to beat 256. But in the end, where will it get you. Brian, XJ's premier jumper ATM currently has no LJ records up and hes beating the hardest demos around now while he climbs to be the second person to reach 200 maps!

The next thing on my list is the maps. Kudos to the mappers still making maps! We love them. But one of the things, and I blame my self for this, is the maps being released that always have some sort of a problem. But you must understand, its YOUR map. Don't leave it solely up to the map check team to fix your maps. As a matter of fact don't submit them until at least 4 people that know what they are talking about have tested your maps. Eliminate shortcuts as well, yeah seeing brian or someone do an uber s/c is awesome but it ruins your map at the same time... Same for the map check team, triple check the maps!

I hate to say it but guys, maybe you should put a halt on the weekly for now. A monthly news letter perhaps? Just to put it plainly, you are not gathering enough information for the weekly and instead of being excited to read the weekly now, many people fear its becoming the death of XJ. No info = no xj. Like I said, a monthly news letter summing up the month and giving some incite on things to come would be great!

Please bring some new events to XJ. Enough Said.

I don't know what you need to do. Whether Moxx, Scary, Myself or someone else who knows something about the history of KZ, please start doing more articles and interviews! We need to know more about those star jumpers in order to actually understand why they are here... bring something to the community besides maps and jumping!

I personally think, the cup admins that we choose are doing a bang up job! Especially blizz who always chooses unique maps and runs about a bazillion cups a day. He loves doing it and kudos to him and mehz. No complaints there.

Cut down more on the idiots. The immaturity level around here astounds me. None of the cool people like soul and the gang rarely stop by anymore if at all. I do blame it on you idiots out there. Its the main reason I left.

I personally think, you should allow people to advertise in the XJ channel. It would bring you more idlers as well as a lot more activity to your site and other communities. After all XJ does serve as the KZ head quarters for every country and community. Get servers in other countries too... A new cup server for americanos like my self would be astounding.

--------------------------------------------------------------

[blockquote][q]- WORLD CUP II.... failed due to motivation and RL problems of Fire.[/q][/blockquote]

I realize this, and as I stated above its because I don't believe this community would really care. I would still love to come on board for this one last project but I am not totally convinced people would be into it. If you want to make a vote about it and ill do my best to run it fine, but until then nothing will be done about this.

I know I ranted on about some of the things above but what I said came from how I truly felt. As faker knows and stukad, I consider many people from XJ family in my own way, and would love to see XJ strive.

Also don't blame XJ admins for anything bad with the community. Admins here work 24/7 behind the scenes to make sure operations are being taken care of. I hate when people blame admins for cups and other shit.

--------------------------------------

@chrizzo

The challenges were made to inspire people. And for the little time we ran them , they did inspire people. The earlier challenges anyway. I made them to pick a specific pro of that week to beat the map and you all complained saying to have it open to everyone. My way wouldn't have had cheaters. So blame your self for that one kiddo.

Scary Tournament #213/04/2008 14:16

What the hell are you guys talking about?

XJ haven't changed since my registration. Maybe XJ has gone a little inactive with new stuff like worldcups, leagues and/or clanbattles. But stating that the community have changed in a bad direction is wrong in my opinion. We can never bring back the times when there was 1000 members, the times when KZ was "underground" and few knew about jumping in CS.

I see your point faker. I think your work is appriciated a lot, you should know that - 50.000 members doesn't come out of nothing.

There has always been immaturity on the site, and to be honest I don't mind. If I don't want to participate in a immature thread in the forums, I choose to read another.

Take a look at the comments about longjumping. I agree on most parts. A top10 in every category would be über fun!

I like the site right now. It seems that USA and Asia finally have fallen for KZ - It's so cool guys.

Take it easy guys. This thread is a direct example of the matureness there also reigns here.

clair mapper14/04/2008 01:57(edited 14/04/2008 02:01)

I'm really glad this thread is extremely monitored. I'm not a newbie or an old schooler, but here's my two cents:

First, I guess I'll state the obvious: Xtreme-Jumps is now Long-Jumps. whether its the new lj world records, the ljstats, or just by chance, longjumps have taken over what used to be kz. In my opinion it's for the worse. I don't even think a top 5 would be suitable. Only the world records should be shown. You won't see multiple kz world records shown for the same map just because someone beat the old record by a few milliseconds. Why should longjumps be any different?

I think the map releases are okay. Some of the less detailed and developed maps are made by mappers who haven't been around as long, and that is why they may not seem as "good". If a new mapper tries to come into the scene, and the bar is set up where the maps that radon, s0lid, and other experienced mappers make, how are they expected to contribute? When they make a map that is fun and definitely shows improvement, as well as will be appreciated by the community, it should be accepted. Mapping really does take a lot of work, and if there's no payoff, what is there to do? Accepted maps are the ones that become widespread. Of course I'm not saying accept every mapper's best work, but the bar doesn't need to keep being raised higher and higher.

The immaturity of the site has always been here scary, but the level of it has definitely risen. Most people refer to the younger users as the immature ones, because those usually tend to be the culprits.

I think I like the idea of a "monthly" instead of a "weekly". People lately HAVE been complaining about there not being enough info in the weeklies. Some say that there isn't enough demo info. Due to the VIP members being able to see uploaded demos anyway, and inactivity of many pro jumpers, this is true, which sort of ties into another subject.

The admins don't get paid for their work here. That's why the VIP member system was setup. Their only payoff is satisfaction of the community, but if they get bashed for the things they try to do, where is the motivation?

I hope this thread and other opinions/information like it help to shape XJ into something more suitable. There is quite a bit that needs to be analyzed.



Also, maybe its possible to look into getting a sponsor again?

s1gh14/04/2008 05:36(edited 14/04/2008 06:11)

Okay, so I'm mostly a lurker in this community, with the exception of a few rants here and there in the comments. And of course driving some unfortunate people crazy in friends (omilo, puppetz, stormzz, chrizzy, and the list goes on :p). Sorry!

Concerning the usual rant in the comments, I've said a lot of what I've had to say there. This includes the one in the latest map release, the one when the lj cheaters were revealed, etc. I'm pretty sure that MAYBE 3 people read my comments. No offense, but sadly enough this community is just (for the most part) not on a high enough level to comprehend them... Or maybe people are lazy?

Anyway, if I really wanted to write everything I had to say about this community in this post, most of it would be repeating what I've written there. So I won't do that.

However, I do want to address something very, very serious in my opinion: English. Yeah, yeah. I can see the responses now: "Not everyone knows English that well!", "How can you expect everyone to have perfect English?!", "That's complete bullshit, LoL!"

But, deal with it. I glance at the forum, I glance at the comments, I glance at the shoutbox. And what do I do? I look away. I admit, as I said to TinTin: I'm a grammar whore. But, I think that maybe some people would agree with me, and just won't admit it. A COMMUNITY CANNOT EXIST SUCCESSFULLY WITH THE LEVEL OF LANGUAGE (in our case, English) THAT IS SEEN HERE AT XJ.

I am NOT saying everyone needs to post with extremely high vocabulary. I'm NOT saying everyone needs to have perfect grammar. I'm NOT saying that people need to know how to spell antidisestablishmentarianism (ah, that was a good chance to show off).
*I'm also not saying that I'm perfect! I'm just saying that I actually think before I post!*

NEVERTHELESS, I do expect people to post/comment/shout at some minimal level. THINK before you post. DON'T just post whatever comes to your mind. Use PUNCTUATION (. , ; : ' etc. - no huge walls of text!), CAPITAL LETTERS (remember: capitalization is the difference between, "I helped my uncle Jack off a horse" and "I helped my uncle jack off a horse), mildly accurate SPELLING (o may gad paost claerli), AND DON'T USE THE WORD SENSELESS (look up senseless in a dictionary please, use "pointless" instead)!

Now, after that failed attempt at being both funny and making a point at the same time: Seriously, if you see someone post a comment that makes no sense, delete it. The first way to make this community better is to improve the overall articulate level of the community. I repeat, not everyone needs to have perfect English, but people do have to put some thought into their posts ahead of time.


Edit: Argh, sorry, pressed submit too early, I'll edit my full post as I go along.

Edit2: Done. And by the way, this is my favorite post of the topic:

Originally posted by SchlumPF*
#4 - users
need to get more active and smarter.

That made me laugh. I wish it worked that way. XD

Played14/04/2008 07:43

i know i'm not here comment lots but is because i know english not good, but i like to come see here demos for long time since long go and i think everybody here is very pro and i like watch demos they making.
i make post here mainly cause s1gh i dont agree with and think you not fair.

i think you stupid and not right cause if people can try to make and not do right such as what u said is not because they not think, english not everybody knows well like u (showoff :/) example i dont know it like how you say.

sorry for bad english :/

s0xu14/04/2008 12:30

when i joined xj it was fun to jump, the servers had like 7-10 peeps all the time jumping, not doing lj but climbing to be the best on that map.
Nowadays peeps go lj-ing and like some others said here, they join only when its kz_longjumps.
I personally havent jumped that much lately, couse of the lack of playes, i like to jump when there are players who inspire me to do a better time on the serv, not those guys who go : woot woot 250 stats etc
and if there are 50k peeps here, then why aint there barely none of them jumping?(jeap my english sucks)

spr1n mapper14/04/2008 14:45(edited 17/04/2008 17:41)

much changed, there were some bad and good changes.

i just want to tell my opinion about two minuses

1. LJs. before in lj thread were only pretty skilled climbers. now i see people under-average climb skilled players geeking ljs to have place in "hall of fame", also they dont rly care about kz itself. they even dont read forums (mby exept LJ highlighted threads and votes). I dont see their opinion about what LJ has become etc etc... just threads "omg my maxspeed just 335, help me make 340+". and they think they are kz players... just dont understand why XJ cares about them if they dont about KZ.

2. maps. amount of good maps raised, no doubt. but same time raised amount of boring maps. ok , mby they build by the rules, mby have some nice textures, but i will never play them second time. amount gone over quality. also many mappers making such "boring maps" hard, thinking that plenty hard jumps make their maps interesting, or whatever i dunno

thats just an opinion

Page 2 of 2

Please log in to post replies.