Hosting a Server

Started by AverageFreak
04/04/2006 08:56
Page 1 of 2
AverageFreak04/04/2006 08:56

This might sound strange,but how to start a server that wont end when I quit (is that knd of server called dedicated?) B)
any help appreciated

[ Edited ]

warrior04/04/2006 11:51(edited 17/08/2010 17:42)

yeah, that's dedicated server
but if you turn off your pc it will stop
if hosted elsewhere it wont
@least until the hosting pc is stopped
*spelling*, english not native :)

edit: i think you can't play from the hosting pc on the dedicated server, but you must try, no matter what it says
smth else, when you quit playing in it, it continues "working", so don't bother "rejoining" all the time :D
[ Edited Tue Apr 04 2006, 11:53AM ]

AverageFreak04/04/2006 12:18

what do you mean 'hosted elsewhere'?
I need this info cause Im making the official XJBG climing server

acidburn04/04/2006 16:50

If I got this correctly, he means that if you turn of your PC and the dedicated server is not running on your PC than the server won't stop. Btw. isn't that logical? :D

You can also play on a PC that is running a dedicated server. Under Windows this is absolutely no problem. Under unix you will need an emulator for CS. But it is not recommended to do this, because it leads to lag.

AverageFreak04/04/2006 19:33

ok acidburn I got it...now the next stupid question:
how to start a dedicated server ?

-nightmare-05/04/2006 17:09(edited 17/08/2010 17:45)

thats ez blood: right-click on the steam-tray icon, then you click on Games, then click on Tools and there you can launch it (if it's installed :P)
[ Edited Wed Apr 05 2006, 05:09PM ]

JuMpiNg_JacK05/04/2006 20:02

I try to help you blood.

Here is a link for downloading the CS server (hlds):
http://server.counter-strike.net/server.php?cmd=hldswin

This is what you need
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Steam: HLDS Win32 Primary Server Full 1.1.2.0 Installation
file: hlds_v1120.exe
Size: 420.6 MB
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

And now here is another link you might want to check out to understand the basics of server administration:
http://server.counter-strike.net/server.php?cmd=howto

Good luck on your job! ;)

Btw what is the XJBG server going to be like?

JuMpiNg_JacK05/04/2006 20:06

But you can also try out this:
http://www.gpdownloads.co.nz/dl.dyn/Files/3263.html

YOU SHOULD TRY OUT THIS FIRST. I think it is faster and smarter.

AverageFreak09/04/2006 16:36

thanks a lot J.J.
this is VERY stupid but I dont have steam...where to get it?dont laugh at me :(

PS:there will be 2 XJBG servers:easy/with CPs and hard/no CPs

inSaaaNe09/04/2006 16:51(edited 17/08/2010 17:46)

www.steampowered.com o_O

PS: use google first before asking those stupid questions -.-





[ Edited Sun Apr 09 2006, 04:53PM ]

buNNy_hOp09/04/2006 19:23

bl00d_d00d do you have real IP?

AverageFreak09/04/2006 19:31

ummmm I dont even know what that is!
Ive always been a n00b...etc.

AverageFreak22/04/2006 20:03(edited 17/08/2010 17:47)

ok now I started a dedicated server.
Ive got only cs_ and de_ maps available...how to add KZ maps too?
[ Edited Sun Apr 23 2006, 08:29AM ]

-nightmare-23/04/2006 19:25

take a look at "C:/", there should be a folder named "hlserver". there you can find the same folders like in your cstrike directory, in fact you can simply copy your maps, sprites, sounds, gfx etc. folders from your cstrike directory into your cstrike folder @ hlserver ;)
at least that's what i did

AverageFreak23/04/2006 20:23

this is what I found:
http://img102.imageshack.us/my.php?image=srs28nd.jpg :?

ernstaugust23/04/2006 20:54

you have to put your maps in following folder:

x:/steam/steampowered/[email protected]/dedicated server/cstrike/maps/
[ Edited Sun Apr 23 2006, 08:55PM ]

AverageFreak23/04/2006 21:25(edited 17/08/2010 17:47)

http://img424.imageshack.us/my.php?image=342536152361231273621736217638.jpg
this is what I get when I try to close the dedicated server window :?
how to fix that?
oh and when I try to put all the maps I want (184) into the mapcycle,and I click OK,nothing happens,it keeps looking like there is no mapcycle
[ Edited Sun Apr 23 2006, 09:33PM ]

acidburn24/04/2006 11:08

http://img424.imageshack.us/my.php?image=342536152361231273621736217638.jpg
this is what I get when I try to close the dedicated server window :?
how to fix that?

bl00d_d00d


What do you want to fix there? :?


oh and when I try to put all the maps I want (184) into the mapcycle,and I click OK,nothing happens,it keeps looking like there is no mapcycle

bl00d_d00d


Strange. Do you mean, you click on the arrow to put them into it and nothing happens? If so, you could try adding the maps manually to your MAPCYCLE.TXT, that should be located in your root HLDS directory.

AverageFreak24/04/2006 11:57

ok,I fixed the mapcycle prob...
now how to keep my server running when I shut down my PC?

acidburn24/04/2006 12:52

ok,I fixed the mapcycle prob...
now how to keep my server running when I shut down my PC?

bl00d_d00d


I think there is a brave mistake here! :D

Your PC must run, because the server is running on it. You can't turn it off. All servers (web-server etc.) on the world are running all the time.

Page 1 of 2

Please log in to post replies.