Timer slide.. your opinion please

Started by MAEXi
11/11/2008 16:58
Page 1 of 4
MAEXi11/11/2008 16:58(edited 11/11/2008 17:01)

to my point of view it was a mistake to allow this very first xtremeblock timer slide demo as it kicked off the ball and we saw other jumpers using this on other maps. i don't think it's the jumpers fault rather xj to allow this (was that one demo admin which allowed that first timer slide demo or did you in xj staff actualy discuss about it?!). some maps get more effected by this (xtremeblock/42 amazon) and others less but as we can see with the latest rivacliff demo it's still good to get 1-2 seconds which is a lot in wr league. it can be used on almost every map that way zZzZzz. man if i'd be brian i would be pissed off by this.. beeing beaten by a legit run ok... but by an actual worse run because he timer slided.. wtf this. although im not brian i'm also pissed. i wanted to beat brians rivacliff and i was on a good way (1:59) but after seeing bunkas demo.. no thanks i'm done with this project.

i thought you have a rule which forbids plugins to have such an impact on a run?! lol

here's an extreme example but in the end the same (getting advantage out of using plugins before pressing the start button): you can use +hook in front of a timer to lift off but directly release +hook und press the timer. so you get the boost from the initial +hook but release it milli secs before pressing +use. you bypass "hook detected - timer deleted" that way and you can beat wr times with a crap run. you would be surprised to see how much could be skipped on like every third map.
...

okay this is my opinion.. what do you think about timer slide?

pontus :)11/11/2008 17:09

Its unfair tbh, aswell as starting timers through walls. Noobish, and i bet the mapper want you to climb the ENTIRE map, not 30% of it and press stop

Kevlarrrr11/11/2008 17:38

http://xtreme-jumps.eu/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?121323

This what your on about?

oTcHeTo11/11/2008 17:45(edited 11/11/2008 17:48)

I think that the first timer slide was made on icevalley I'm not really sure , when you slide on the timer to get directly on the tree ...
My opinion is that this are wr-s and as wr-s they should be done as fast as possible , bhop , strafes and so on were bugs and are an advantage in front of other people (shoot players) slide bugs will only make the world records faster , this doesn't mean that you will use them always .. I like to play the whole maps I'm not really aiming for wr-s so I play only with small sc-s

But I must agree about +hook and noclip , and other kind of plugins , they shall not be used
as for brian I'm sure that even if his wr get beaten with timer slide , he has the skills to get it back

cheche11/11/2008 17:56(edited 11/11/2008 17:57)

It's lame and you shouldn't be allowed to have more than like 278 speed before pushing the start button.

I'm not talking about AXN here, cus I don't get AXN whatsoever.

But again, I do understand why the admins is holding back when it comes to making new rules, especially if it is only a few maps that is getting destroyed by this.

NOEL11/11/2008 18:14

if they made a rule against it now, some recs would be unbeatable, i hope you realise that.. and i dont think the people who made it is willing to let go of their WR's..

spr1n mapper11/11/2008 18:20(edited 11/11/2008 18:21)

axn is not an excuse if you follow this logic. the only difference is how you gain speed. ether you bhop or fall - I dont understand how you can say that one is ok and the other is not.
anyway evry sc destroys map or part of it in some way. imo get over it or be sc h8er.

itachi^11/11/2008 18:38

puut a banana in your ear
puut a banana in your ear

lonewolf VIP11/11/2008 19:07(edited 11/11/2008 19:08)

one day I will create a plugin like a hook but with fall speed and will beat rpz_downfall[boxes]

and the guy who did the unbeatable demo and got pwned by speed boost, pwn it again with speed boost.

leggie11/11/2008 19:43

yeah the timer slide was done by flibo or somebody well before xtremeblock and it doesn't really matter what you say they won't be removed.... i don't perticually agree with these things but, it's like saying oh you can't use shortcuts...... it's basically a shortcut so it wont be removed and if people don't use the timer slides when they can then thats there own fault i guess.... and i doubt brian will be pissed he has enough demo's already and he can just re-do a run with the timer-slide and what do you mean by plugins?

wRath` mapper11/11/2008 19:56

Originally posted by itachi^
puut a banana in your ear
puut a banana in your ear


Yeahh...

And you aren't allowed to hook onto the timer or whatever, it's not allowed.
I don't think it is such a big deal, sure some really nice demos got beaten because of this timer-slide, but you just have to deal with it.
It is pretty lame with the wrs where they are only using it to gain 1-2 seconds.
I think it's ok on icevalley, xtremeblock and amazon because they are actually doing some kind of sc instead of just using groundspeed to gain a few secs.

cC|SpiNe11/11/2008 20:00

Totally agree with wRath here, it's lame when your not acutally doing a "sc".

Om111/11/2008 20:47

when I run the 100m I allways start 10m behind so I will have greater spead when the others start!

PepoMerca11/11/2008 20:55

I dont like timer slide, it ruin some maps. But its a sc, so it has to be allowed

Fliborecord holder Tournament #211/11/2008 21:29

Originally posted by spr1n
axn is not an excuse if you follow this logic. the only difference is how you gain speed. ether you bhop or fall - I dont understand how you can say that one is ok and the other is not.
anyway evry sc destroys map or part of it in some way. imo get over it or be sc h8er.


Good point :/

Well, my opinion... You can do everything you can WITHOUT PLUGINS before starting the timer (except breaking breakables). For example, kzru_spacehop /noclip sc wouldn't be allowed, because you can't do that without plugins. However, in kz_j2s_icevalley for example (Ye, I <3 to defend my own wr :( ), the shortcut is possible without any plugins. That doesn't mean I don't use plugins to get there. I just do it to get there faster.

DiDo-Grecord holder11/11/2008 21:54

sv_gravity 500 and u are faster there.. then sv_gravity 800 again and gogog pwn the map -,-

cheche11/11/2008 22:27(edited 11/11/2008 22:33)

Originally posted by Om1
when I run the 100m I allways start 10m behind so I will have greater spead when the others start!


Now that's a good point!

+1

Originally posted by Flibo
However, in kz_j2s_icevalley for example (Ye, I <3 to defend my own wr :( ), the shortcut is possible without any plugins. That doesn't mean I don't use plugins to get there. I just do it to get there faster.


Now if you just had climbed all the way up to the tree and then made it first try, without any use of gravity, checkpoints or hook, then it would have been fair enough, imo.

rhoiswar11/11/2008 22:34

imo you should have to start in front of the button at ground level

r0fl11/11/2008 23:46

make a poll

PepoMerca12/11/2008 00:11

Originally posted by r0fl
make a poll

+1000000

Page 1 of 4

Please log in to post replies.