Sneak peak on _hill
Originally posted by dEMolitethe hardware is getting better but not the goldsrc engine. the engine will still have limits which even newer hardware can't solve.
the engine cant handle thousands of epolys and even it cant handle thousands of wpolys.
True! On my new map i reached MAX_LEAFNODE many times! (sadly)
But I certainly wont "optimize" my maps. I make them the best and most beautiful way i can.
Then your maps won't be certainly good.
Optimization doesn't ONLY consist of restrictions in models, textures, etc. You can do a lot without making it look any 'worse'. 'But I certainly wont "optimize" my maps.' sounds very disappointing to me.
looks great as always solid, cant wait!
Originally posted by DragonClawThen your maps won't be certainly good.
Optimization doesn't ONLY consist of restrictions in models, textures, etc. You can do a lot without making it look any 'worse'. 'But I certainly wont "optimize" my maps.' sounds very disappointing to me.
Well then tell me what you mean by optimizing?
Well you can read spr1n's article 'Detalization vs FPS' if you haven't yet: http://xtreme-jumps.eu/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?259563. I've been making hns, deathrun an de maps for more than 3 years and after I read the article I saw how many more things I didn't know.
Oh, and sorry if you found my previous post offensive.
Originally posted by DragonClawWell you can read spr1n's article 'Detalization vs FPS' if you haven't yet: http://xtreme-jumps.eu/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?259563. I've been making hns, deathrun an de maps for more than 3 years and after I read the article I saw how many more things I didn't know.
Oh, and sorry if you found my previous post offensive.
Well I checked my latest map with r_speeds and it appears that even in the largest rooms i dont hit the 1000wpoly mark...
I go by most of the tips mentioned in the article, like NULLing and VISBlocking and so on. However I dont really like to use func_wall on too many blocks because it fucks up the lighting... Other than that I am pretty sure my map is optimized... You can pm me and test it for yourself if youd like...
'But I certainly wont "optimize" my maps.' sounded like you don't even use null texture. Since your wpoly is 1000 I think there's no need to worry. :)
Please log in to post replies.