Quality guide, made by Hymi!
Hello dear readers, moviemakers and kreedzers.
I'm about to tell you, how to make a nice quality on you'r movies. So i hope you'll read it all, and complete the tasks! Thanks for visiting.
This guide was written all up by myself, but thanks to Ma$takilla for this beautiful way to make a good looking movie!
Programs you'll be needing for this guide:
DOWNLOADS
Huffyuv v2.1.1 codec -> http://www.afterdawn.com/software/dawnload.cfm?mirror_id=0&version_id=1370&software_id=467
VirtualDub -> http://sourceforge.net/project/downloading.php?groupname=virtualdub&filename=VirtualDub-1.9.0.zip&use_mirror=switch
__________________
HOW TO INSTALL HUFFYUV CODEC
Simply just download it on the upper link, then extract it to anywhere, and then rightclick on the huffyuv.inf file, and choose Install.
__________________
1) First, you'll of course will have to make a demo. Start by typing viewdemo "NAME ON YOUR DEMO" in your console,
and then write startmovie "ANYTHING HERE 90" (90 is the FPS you will make the pictures) and of course start the demo
before. Instead of going to console while you're having startmovie on, my idea would be you should bind any button to "startmovie name 90"
and "endmovie" to another, because you'll be needing these commands, till you're at the end of your demo.
- Basicly, startmovie is the best way to make a good quality movie, since it makes tons of .bmp pictures.
2) Now you should be done with the recording. Open VirtualDub, minimize it, and go to you steam/steamapps/YOURSTEAMACCOUNT/counter-strike/cstrike,
and there should be lots of images in your folder. Make sure you'll take the first one, which should have "_0000" in the end of it's name. Draw this picture into
VirtualDub. All the pictures is connected to the first picture, so you don't have to mark them all.
3) Now you will have to render the pictures into a .avi movie, which is easily done, by going to File -> Save as AVI, and then just save it.
You'll have to wait a few minutes before it's done. (Depends on how long you'r clip is!)
4) When you're done rendering in VirtualDub, you should be able to put it into Sony Vegas and edit it as you like.
5) I hardly prefer 960x540, or a 1280x720 resolution, which also makes your movie on youtube to a HD quality. When you're done rendering your movie,
go to File -> Render As and choose .AVI format. Now press Custom, choose Best quality, and go to Video which you can choose
in the bottom of the window, and do as this picture shows: http://i43.tinypic.com/10ztobd.jpg.
After, you should be able to render the movie. This will probably take alot of time. But i guess it's worth it, since it's such a great quality.
6) The movie should be pretty big, but you can fix this by putting your movie into VirtualDub, and simply go to Video -> Compression, or press CTRL+P,
and go to the bottom and choose XviD MPEG-4 Codec. After, go to File -> Save as AVI, as you did with the pictures!
That's it. Thanks for reading, and i hope it helped you guys, who has problems with your quality.
-Please let me know, if there's something that won't work, or you're missing something.
VISIT US AT KZ-PICTURES.EU -> WWW.KZ-PICTURES.EU
Thanks,
Hymi!
I cant understand how to install Huffyuv codec ..there are 2 files where must I put them ?
P.S - great tutorial
rightclick on the huffyuv.inf and choose "Install"
Before I go into Sony Vegas, even with my unskilled movie producing, I tend to go into Adobe After Effects and re-render the VDUB produced file to match the frame rate, just so the video isn't as choppy in playback (for me)
nice thread though, i'll keep in mind to render the files w/ the huffyuv codec
You can just set the rate in VDC owned ...
some time ago i was making some tests and i realized that only the fps matters. I mean the fps that you are recording in CS. The best for me is more that 270 fps. Then you can just encode with x264, single pass, and you will get an awesome quality...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5_OCt14c8A&fmt=22
@raver: I use mirv demo tools and record @ 99fps, then I just use VDUB w/ 99 fps to make the film, but each time I, personally, playback the avi file it goes through it frame by frame and not a smooth rate, so just to speed my process up faster I re-render w/ the same fps in after effects.
Can u link XviD MPEG-4 Codec?
@kayne : every codec pack has that?!
gj hymi, tho i do things a little bit different :P
after making the screenshots in cs and adding them to virtualdub, go to video > compression > choose huffyuv codec and then video > frame rate > change frame rate > 90
and then save as avi. it just saves 1 render... and renders take too much time, as we all know :P
as for startmovie : anything higher than 120 fps is more than enough to get good quality :)
@ spaniolu : encoding in x264 single pass is a really good choice, cause of uber quality/small filesize, yet there is one problem.... there`s too many people out there that cant playback the format, or dont know how to playback the format + once u release ur movie people start asking for youtube links and u should know that youtube fucks up the sync between audio and video for .mp4 movies...
anyway, i`ll try and make 2 tutorials on rendering settings for people that have LOW HDD space and for those that have TOO MUCH HDD space :P
PS : using fraps isnt that bad if you know how to use it ;)
I don't, i have x264 which I used now ^^
works fine
Kayne you have it just must to rend with huffyuv.inf to avi and then work with vdub .It works 100% :d
thanks, works with XviD now :D
Thanks for the tutorial.
I have a question.
I did all ok but 1 min weighs 70mb, i only changed frame rate on cs (300fps)
with start movie 90 you can't do more than 25% slow mo (75% speed of the clip) because less than 60fps in counter strike makes it look unfluently. and you should have add in virtual dub to presss strg+r and insert the number of frames your clip has.
oh and codec packs are the badest thing ever, just wanted to get this out.
very good understandable guide, gj hymi
i kinda never found out a great fps for my startmovie command, but chosen @ what do you use? :D
@boom: render it directly from vegas with x264 .avi :D.
@boom.dll what fps shall I render in with vegas if I use 120fps in cs + virtualdub? :p
You can render 30 fps in virtual dub , and then in Properties of the clip in Sony Vegas set the playback rate to 4 , so that it will go 4 times faster . I do it like that .
Which settings should I use on XviD? default?
sry, I know I suck :(
@Hymi: if i want 50% slow mo i use 120, if i want more i use 240 or up to 600.
Please log in to post replies.