Mapping Contest thread
hoLy just go post a comment on page3 where is the news of Mapping contest and you are good to go :D
Ok, after 3 hours of fixing bugs and improving the architecture and fps, hammer reminded me why I stopped mapping so many times before : unexplainable & unsolvable errors.
I just null-ed, so there is no reason for the compiler to give me the "brush-outside-world" error. Even so, I can't get rid of it.
It gave me coordonates like (236; -8000; -8000), which doesnt exist in hammer, right? Tho, it said "brush 344". After I tried to func_ it every way possible and creating it again, I decided to delete it (even if its a normal block, not vertexed/carved). What happened after deleting it make me doubt the meaning of life : the compiler showed me the same error, again with the 344 brush; ok, map > go to brush number... and guess what? It detected another block, in almost the opposite side of the map. I repeated these steps ... it shows a different block/brush every time.
I hope I can fix it until 8th of august !
Cobrex, what happens if you copy-paste everything into a fresh map?
Did that ... same error, 344 brush
I vaguely remember having this problem with one of my early maps. Could it be because you are pushing the limits of mapsize or any other limit? When you are close to the limits you will start to get weird errors that seem random in nature. Only solution I ever found was to cut down on stuff until things went okay. If you don't use the latest compile tools I would recommend an upgrade to that, and to the special clip hull file.
@cobrex
i almost have always such issues as you mentioned with the unspecific errors from VHE.
the best way to avoid its make alot of backups of every actions you do/build etc.
It says that the brush is outer wolrd bla bla which isnt, but the true thing is there is some invalid brush somewhere on your map
like wrong vertexed or bad texture where you can't see it and i guess u should delete many parts and recompile, if it wiont work
remove other parts and recompile untill you find which part of jumps/details have the issue and find it and fix or remove it.
peace
Or just compile it and run .map file. It usually helps.
Like KarLi mentions, it is very good to keep a lot of backups. I number each version I compile of the maps, and I have gone back to older compiles for various reasons several times. It is very useful imho.
Yea Cobrex just start deleting and see what part is wrong...like delete half and compile ->undo->delete other part ....and so on ,delete parts from your map till you find the exact location of your error...
Oh and btw guys,good mappers are confident enough to not make more rmf's files..i stopped this thing after i learned how to work properly in hammer without getting weird errors...hehe :D :D
Well some time, with all the confidence in the world, hammer trows a surprise at you and you find that your map won't open because it's corrupted... So periodical backups are a good thing...
I just save the map with another name when i do some major changes and always have plenty of bacups :)
:) thanks guys! Nice to see that mappers are still helping eachother after all these years
KarLi estimated the problem exactly how it is, or better say, "was". Yes, its fixed now! Sincerely, I don't know where it was from, but here is what I did:
I gave my .rmf to FuZzy1. Strangely, he could see a 1unit tiny block in the middle of the map which exceeded the grid's limits, which means it was a vertex manipulation. After he deleted that, compiling was working. He gave me a screenshot with the tiny bugged block, even the coordinates ... but in my hammer there was nothing! So, he deleted the brush, sent the .rmf back to me & I compiled it. WORKED !!!
I might do that in the future but I barely do maps anymore ... its just for this contest that revived my interes for mapping.
Thanks guys!
By the way guys, how do you transform a HJ block into a LJ block? There are 2 containers so changing the height isn't a solution. I tried putting a unit block on top with clip texture, then with func_wall & null texture ... nothing works
I'm so happy u fixed it Cobrex I really like the style of that map. I think u should name it cobkz more funky !
Originally posted by CobrexI gave my .rmf to FuZzy1. Strangely, he could see a 1unit tiny block in the middle of the map which exceeded the grid's limits, which means it was a vertex manipulation.
Wrote it serveral times in the forum how to fix it. nvm by trying fixing problems just don't use the fix problem button on the "Check for problems" dialog. Sometimes it will create this ghostly brush which is exceeding the limits even if its just 1unit. And try to avoid manipulate brush based entitys since this could also lead to this problem. if you want to manipulate them, get them as brushes again by press to brush button.

Epic compile time =)
I don't have enough time to finish it guys I think im gonna drop off the contest sorry. I can finish it, but i don't want it to be filled with random stupid jumps just because im in a hurry
There are 3 days left [email protected] on just take a deep breath and go make the jumps easy in your own speed....i dont think there will be like 1000+ jumps so cant be made in 3 days....come on man im sure u can:D
When im in a rush I make very stupid things and bugs but we'll see
Experiencing an old bug which was fixed ages ago. The game freezes when a second player joins the server with the map now. Anyone know why this happens? Did I cross a limit on something that isn't documented? I think it has something to do with lighting but not sure.
Edit:
A compile that worked a few days ago also freezes now. I was thinking some sync problem due to updates in CS or something but it seems farfetched at best. An evil troll has joined my map and I'm not sure how to exorcise it....
You tried it on a different server? Maybe it is the server fault or a plugin.
Please log in to post replies.