Is longjumping good or bad for XJ?

20/08/2008 19:04
Page 4 of 7
akM21/08/2008 11:18

Maybe offtopic but, a good thing is that ppl with crazy lj skills or cj skill are breaking sick tj's and show that in a movie. Since new sick movies are kinda cool and give ppl insperation to jump more etc etc..

UltrababY21/08/2008 11:44(edited 21/08/2008 11:46)

I think we need a Superman who is best at longjumping. when others show what they did in longjumpstats, he show what he can do in longjump to stop them saying any bullshit .LIKE
blablablabla ................

Pieshels mapper21/08/2008 11:58(edited 21/08/2008 11:59)

Originally posted by chrizZo
... In the new maps its only about design, the mapchecking team is looking at every single texture bug in all the maps. and then we got a new super duper designed map where you have the feeling that you are in hl2 [..] I mean the mappers doing a great job but all they have to concentrate on is the design. We are playing counter-strike 1.6, I think everyone who is playing this isnt a HD grafic wonder freak, I would play cs source otherwise. nice new maps who are fun to climb would be a huge key for bringing a lot of people back to climbing imo.


exactly... just look at kz_lostworld for example... I wouldn't say that this map has uubAARrrr graphics, but it's one of the most played maps on XJ server (judging from that tiny little window on the left)
and in that map there are no longjumps at all, it's almost pure oldschool...
if you want to KZ come back then allow us (the mappers) to create more shitty maps with high-speed combined new/oldschool jumps...

anyway, I don't have anything against LJing, cause having "the LJ-skill" is needed in most of the maps (in some for strafes, in some for ljs), but saying that LJ is frickin' important and saying that it's worthless is just wrong... over 200 maps has been made w/o knowing that there are such thing as 240+ lj or even tech like CJ... and what's the best of all, these are the most fun, most intense and most hardest maps to beat (WR or CommunityRecord)...

let's remember that "the God" - KreedZ made his maps and all these things just to have fun with friends, not to boost uberskillz on records...

akM21/08/2008 12:32

This topic is interesting, common more posts!

ova21/08/2008 12:51

The biggest block on a kz map i came uppon was 250 on pharaonrun ,do a 253 + stats cj and a good clean edge and you made it , don't think allot of time on lj maps is required for that ...

Pulsar!21/08/2008 12:58

kz_sandblock2 includes 250units hj.. Is not it ?

cC|SpiNe21/08/2008 13:07(edited 21/08/2008 13:21)

Originally posted by Pulsar!
kz_sandblock2 includes 250units hj.. Is not it ?




245 so it's pretty ez whith cj.

Pieshels mapper21/08/2008 13:08

Originally posted by Pulsar!
kz_sandblock2 includes 250units hj.. Is not it ?

wasn't that 245hj? anyway, sandblock(s) is one of the hardest map out there (at least it's made to be the hardest) and imo should not be used to compare with other maps...

cC|SpiNe21/08/2008 13:24

The fact is LONGJUMP IS NOT AFFECTING THE KZ PART OF THE COMMUNITY

If all the new people play longjumps, they are not destroying the "good old spirit" of KZ, they don't write anything in the KZ threads, they stick to the longjump forum.

So why should all the LJ haters care, stay out of the longjump forum, the longjumpers don't flame you so why should you flame them.

boom.dll21/08/2008 14:00(edited 21/08/2008 14:13)

Originally posted by SpiNe
The fact is LONGJUMP IS NOT AFFECTING THE KZ PART OF THE COMMUNITY

If all the new people play longjumps, they are not destroying the "good old spirit" of KZ, they don't write anything in the KZ threads, they stick to the longjump forum.

So why should all the LJ haters care, stay out of the longjump forum, the longjumpers don't flame you so why should you flame them.

excellent post... nothing more to say :)

PS: bibo... u first appeared in the xj scene as a massive longjumper... that`s how i remember u... and after a while... decided to pwn wrs...
to be honest... neighbourhood is one of my favourite demos :D

PS2: ok... here`s the thing i don`t like about lj geeks... the fact that when u enter a server, theres 5 people (at least 5) that r jumping for 250+ stats on the ground near the start button... ok... let`s say thats not that annyoing (turn off colorchat or smth...) but when i rockthevote and the new map is cg_extreme or sandblock(2), xtremeblock or dimblock, or whatever is a hard map nowdays... they, with their uber longjumps skills, can bearly finish those maps...
my lj rec is 252 on block (made that like....6 months ago, or smth...) but i can barely jump 248 stats now... it still doesnt matter... longest lj/cj on a map, as stuntb0i said, is 250 on pharaonrun (but u can go around it... the bhop part isnt that hard...)
i was like fof said, a lj geek, before i started kreedzing, it`s only normal... u cant play kz maps if u dont know how to multistrafe or for that matter how to bhop.... so u need to start it simple... first of all start to learn how to longjump... when people reach 250, most of them r satisfied and wont try to jump more... but there is a part which, while learning how to longjump, get very fond of longjumping... and like it so much, that they just wont stop longjumping... it`s exactly how you or me love goldbhop (or whatever), and we play that map soooo much, that other people tell us to go fuck goldbhop... we only play it because we like it, and because we want to improve our time on that map... people who lj... want to improve their distance... its the same shit!

omg... long post... sry ^^

Fliborecord holder Tournament #221/08/2008 14:04(edited 21/08/2008 14:13)

Originally posted by SpiNe
The fact is LONGJUMP IS NOT AFFECTING THE KZ PART OF THE COMMUNITY

If all the new people play longjumps, they are not destroying the "good old spirit" of KZ, they don't write anything in the KZ threads, they stick to the longjump forum.

So why should all the LJ haters care, stay out of the longjump forum, the longjumpers don't flame you so why should you flame them.


I stick with SpiNe. Why not just let LJ grow? There's an own subforum for LJ, if you don't like LJ, don't go there. As in to remove the lj thread, why not just let people do what they enjoy?
If you enjoy kreedz, it's ok, but if you don't like LJ, don't ruin all the fun for those who enjoy LJ.
Some people are worried about people saying you're bad if your lj rec is 250. Uhh.. no one has said that to me EVER, and why generalize? LJ is bad because 1 player is a brat?

However, the ljstats plugin would be nicer if the stats wouldn't be showed to everyone.

EDIT: Yes, longjumping helps you in climbing. Climbing helps you in longjumping. Many shortcuts require LJ skills. Good strafes might help you getting faster, like a0ke said, you don't have to get so much speed on a block if you can strafe well, thus saving time.

Fact or Fiction21/08/2008 14:10

would be cool... but lj talks in chatbox touches players who dislike longjumping.

cC|SpiNe21/08/2008 14:20

Chatbox is for talking about everything am I right?

$m@r721/08/2008 15:11

Originally posted by lalleballe`
I think the longjump thingy got little out of hand when the lj-stats came. Altho I havent anything against longjumpers, I enjoy watching longjump demos and jump it myself. I just find it kinda lame, cuz' longjumping is just one element of KZ. KZ is so much more, theris so many elements that u gotta combine to climb a map faster then everybodyelse. I think we would have many more climbers like zhady,hel,brian,stormzz,mjuuh and etcetc if people didnt have longjumping as the number one priority.

And thats most likely why so many prefer longjumping, cuz its easier to record, its really hard to be satisfied with a run, and also very hard to complete good run that is good enough to compete with others.


nothing more to say, you're right

Scary Tournament #221/08/2008 15:14

Very good comments, I must say I've read all of them. You guys just proved that the immaturitylevel on this community isn't that low at all when a good debate is over us.

Very nice post FoF (the long one), interesting angle to take, is longjumping nearing it's limits, and if yes, what does it mean for the future of longjumping?

Some other people said that the new maps focused too much on good design rather than good and funny jumps, if this is the case I demand a poll, where we can settle what is most important. I think everyone here already knows what the outcome will be. So faker, give us a poll eh? :)

Last I just want to say, that I longjump a good bit myself, and I really like it. I like the atmosphere while longjumping with friends, you can't do that while in a run. But there is no doubt that I like kreedz climbing a lot more. That is my passion in here.

Maybe some climbers also inspire people to climb. If that's the case, a0ke, tarGet and especially T3dbundy - COME BACK!!! :D

CothA21/08/2008 17:18

Sorry guys i can't read all of these geeky comments I'm getting nervous while i'm reading all of these comments.My words are Leave them alone Let's do w/e they like ;]

eMTi21/08/2008 17:27(edited 21/08/2008 17:42)

Hm interesting thread!

To give a proper answer or at least my point of view, i got to write a little more.

Let me begin with what i think is kz:
Kreedzing is about finishing a map with a start and an end-button as fast as anyhow possible. Nothing more, and nothing less!

How i see LJ:
I once compared Longjumping to a 11m-kick in football (soccer for us-guys :)).
A 11m-kick is a single short. When you practise it what effect does it have? It improves your 11m-kick abilities for sure. Other aspect is, you can be sure, that you general feeling for the ball will get better, you gain control. But what you dont learn is, how to behave in 1on1 situations, teamplay and other distances might also confront you with some completely new situations.

Now the same text for LJ:
A Longjump is a single jump. When you practise it what effect does it have? It improves your Longjumping abilities for sure. Other aspect is, you can be sure, that your feeling for strafes (esp. multi-strafes) will get better, you gain control. But what you dont learn is, how to climb really fast, how to do a series of amazingly perfct bhops and strafejums might cofront you with some competely new situation.

So what do i mean with that?
laying only LJ wont make a better kreedzer as much as only kicking 11m-kicks will not make you a better at soccer in general.

There are many things to practise if you want to be good at kz, Longjumping is only one of these.


I personally work 9h / day and I'm happy when i come back home and can enjoy some jumping. Nomatter what i do, lj, bhop, climbing its just fun for me.
I personaly have nothing against lj's. I like lj'ing alot, too.
But what i really dont like is those guys joining a server with a climb map, and then after failing the 2nd jump they only Longjump on the ground for stats. That is just stupid! And more, it steal slots for players who would like to join, but can't because some studid kid has to do LJ'ing on the ground. If they want to do that -> localhost!

When people would play the map, finish it, and then make a second run or go to Lj-room.. there's nothing wrong with that!

Thats just my opion!

@ndr: Yep, people feel like they have to be the best all the time. It's much more competitive nowadays. I'm not a jumper from the first day, but i've been playing cs since more than 8,5 years now.. i really know what you mean. back in 2002 when i started playing online, the players on the pubs were more helpful, too. They gave hints, how to move or behave in certain situations. Now, you will just get flamed when you are left against four enemies and the last one gets you. 6 years ago it was like "Ahh damn, but nice try! next time you might do it!"


:)
over and out!

edit: there might be some changes anyway :]

chrizZo21/08/2008 20:31

yes scary they should make a poll, indeed. I would love to climb nice new maps again.

ndR moviemaker Tournament #221/08/2008 20:45(edited 21/08/2008 20:48)

Originally posted by Flibo
Why not just let LJ grow?


There is no problem to let LJ grow, but elsewhere, not in XJ.
I have nothing about longjumpers, Fact, ajR etc. are really cool guys but most of the longjumpers are just freakin' childish kids.I won't explain how and why, you all know how things work in XJ nowadays. Splitting up would be a good thing.



"ndR is just a kz-separatist-extremist" ^^

chrizZo21/08/2008 20:57

I would add another idea for making climbing more popular. I mean its not really new but : a kreedz league, that would make it popular again. People will actually see their names on the site. I mean in kreedzing its a bit hard to manage this league ofc. Like mapskill is one of the things, the people cant choose their favourite maps. and making it random is hard if some newcomers get the extreme maps. So I think that we would need some systems then. like random 5 maps, and both players can deny one of them so that there are 3 maps left where they can play or whatever. but of course it will be hard to manage that stuff I know -_-
perhaps its unrealistic , but I would love it and many others too (asked some people).

Page 4 of 7

Please log in to post replies.